Opinions About my Pool Build Equipment

QCJLo

Jun 30, 2009
Hello everyone! :wave:

I will start by saying what a valuable resource this website has proven to be. I'm a huge fan of message boards. It is a #1 source of where I go when I need answers to just about anything. I have made TFP my forum for all pool related issues. I thank all the contributors to this sight for giving of your time to answer questions by those of us just starting out.

And now, on to my pool...

I am close to signing a contract and proceeding with the installation my very first swimming pool. I would like to get your opinions on the equipment that I've selected. Please tell me if you think it's overkill (or underkill).

- Viking "St Thomas" fiberglass pool (13,700 gallons / 14' x 32' x 7')
- Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050
- Pentair Clean & Clear 420 sq ft Cartridge filter
- Pentair EasyTouch 8 automated system
- Pentair Intellibrite pool light
- Pentair MasterTemp 400K BTU Natural Gas Heater
- Pentair Kreepy Krauly SandShark

Pentair... FTW! :cool:
[center:se7o11gm]QUESTIONS[/center:se7o11gm]
:arrow: I'm not installing a chlorine generator at this time. The plan is to plumb for this and simply add it later due to my budget. Is there any reason why I should be cautioned against this?

:arrow: The cartridge filter I'm installing is for 420 sq ft. The size of my pool is 448 sq ft. Is this the correct size filter? My pool builder has one for 320 sq ft in the contract. Isn't this too small?

:arrow: The pool sweep I'm being offered by the PB is the Pentair Kreepy Krauly SandShark. Is this a good sweep? Would the Kreepy Krauly Classic be a better choice? Is there another I should consider?

:arrow: Finally, why do I want the more expensive EasyTouch 8 as compared to the EasyTouch 4 or the SunTouch? Besides the pool sweep and pool lighting, I plan on installing 4 deck jets with the possibility of installing a spa in the future. Will the EasyTouch 4 or the SunTouch be sufficient with my set up?

:arrow: Any other comments / observations / suggestions?

Well, I can only help a little but your post is so well organized and you said so many nice words about us, it's impossible not to respond. :mrgreen:

1. Your idea for the SWG is very sound. No problems at all.

2. When you buy an auto-vac, you generally pay for cleaning power. The more you pay, the better, stronger, faster cleaner you get. There's an article in pool school that discusses the types.

I am not a huge fan of suction side cleaners (yours is suction-side) They tend to clean pretty slow and perhaps get hung up on an obstruction a little easier than other types. That said, there are many people here on the forum who have owned them successfully for years.

For your size pool, I would suggest a pressure side cleaner but I could not say it's mandatory that you have one.

My favorites are the robots but they are pretty pricey.....they do a fast, thorough job

Others will be along soon to comment on your filter size, etc.

The EasyTouch 4 or the SunTouch will be sufficient, but the EasyTouch 8 allows you more options for future expansion. Everyone always ends up wanting more relays a couple of years down the line. You can live without it, but it is a good investment in future options.

duraleigh said:
When you buy an auto-vac, you generally pay for cleaning power. The more you pay, the better, stronger, faster cleaner you get. There's an article in pool school that discusses the types.

I'll have to look into that article. I missed that one.

Does anyone else have any other opinions or comments, especially about the size of the filter?

duraleigh said:
I am not familiar with that filter....what is the max flow rate in gpm?

Information can be found HERE. According to that website, it appears that the CCP320 (320 sq ft) model has a 120 GPM flow rate. Conversely, the CCP420 (420 sq ft) model has a 150 GPM flow rate.

The 320 will be very adequate for your pool. It's almost impossible to get a filter too big, however, so you might opt for the 150gpm.......it'll provide you somewhat longer times between backwashes, etc. I would stay with the 320 and get presumably less space used, perhaps less expensive cartridges, etc.

duraleigh said:
For your size pool, I would suggest a pressure side cleaner but I could not say it's mandatory that you have one.

Would you have any suggestions as to which one? I'm planning on installing a dedicated line for the sweep. But I'd like to avoid a booster pump. Since it's a fiberglass pool (knowing that keeping them clean is easier than a gunite), would considering a pressure side cleaner over a suction side cleaner really prove that much of a difference?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.