Pump timers and dirt

TimS

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Central Missouri
I have my pump on a timer, and right now it's running about 6 hours per day. (I haven't even tried to calculate how long it really needs to run to do a complete turnover.) The water is crystal clear, but I'm getting a lot of dirt build up on the bottom. My chlorine demand is under 0.5/day if I keep the solar cover on, and my CCs are always < 0.5, so I'm sure it's not algae. In addition, there is a lot of dust building up on the solar cover too.

This must be a normal trade-off - if the pump isn't running, the water isn't getting filtered, so anything that gets into the pool will settle to the bottom, and then you have gunk. I could run the pump more, thus getting less gunk, but where's the sweet-spot between power consumption and dirt?

So how do you deal with it? Just vacuum more often? Ignore it? What?

I don't have a two speed pump, and it's not really cost effective to replace my working pump with a new one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.