Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump timers and dirt

1. Back To Top    #1
    Central Missouri

Pump timers and dirt

I have my pump on a timer, and right now it's running about 6 hours per day. (I haven't even tried to calculate how long it really needs to run to do a complete turnover.) The water is crystal clear, but I'm getting a lot of dirt build up on the bottom. My chlorine demand is under 0.5/day if I keep the solar cover on, and my CCs are always < 0.5, so I'm sure it's not algae. In addition, there is a lot of dust building up on the solar cover too.

This must be a normal trade-off - if the pump isn't running, the water isn't getting filtered, so anything that gets into the pool will settle to the bottom, and then you have gunk. I could run the pump more, thus getting less gunk, but where's the sweet-spot between power consumption and dirt?

So how do you deal with it? Just vacuum more often? Ignore it? What?

I don't have a two speed pump, and it's not really cost effective to replace my working pump with a new one.
    24' AG Round (vinyl replaced 0909) - 13500 gal - Sand Dollar Filter (150lb) - Dynamo DYNII-N1-1 1HP - Hayward HP380 Heat Pump - TF-100.
    Central Missouri

Before I speak, I have something important to say.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Pump timers and dirt

In the spring, when the pollen is really coming down, I run the pool cleaner much more often than I run it during the summer. With manual vacuuming it is the same thing, more frequent vacuuming.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School