Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No more acid needed? Is it possible?

1. Back To Top    #1

No more acid needed? Is it possible?

Well the question is will the pool water ever get balanced that it no longer needs any acid?
    My pool is now in its 3rd year and it seems that the acid demand has decreased to zero and my ph is sitting at 7.8 for the past few months.
    FC nad TC are both in the 4 range.
    Hardness has been 250 from day one.
    CYA is 80
    TA is 80
    Will acid demand increase again during the summer when it is used?
    In-Ground SWG pool 11,000 gal., Jandy CL460 Filter, 1.5hp Stealth Jandy pump, Paramount PV3 In-Floor cleaning sys., Goldline SWG, Hayward Color Logic 2.5 LED Light

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No more acid needed? Is it possible?

Most, but not all, pools can be adjusted so that there is no ongoing acid demand.

Acid demand is higher when the temperatures are warmer. It isn't possible to say for sure if you are balanced now or not. My guess is that you aren't quite there yet and will have some acid demand this summer, though not as much as you had last year. If I am right, and there is some more acid demand, let your TA come down a bit more, say to 60.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Most, but not all, pools can be adjusted so that there is no ongoing acid demand.

Acid demand is higher when the temperatures are warmer. It isn't possible to say for sure if you are balanced now or not. My guess is that you aren't quite there yet and will have some acid demand this summer, though not as much as you had last year. If I am right, and there is some more acid demand, let your TA come down a bit more, say to 60.

Thanks for the information.
    I will be watching and trying to manage and control my TA down to 60.
    In-Ground SWG pool 11,000 gal., Jandy CL460 Filter, 1.5hp Stealth Jandy pump, Paramount PV3 In-Floor cleaning sys., Goldline SWG, Hayward Color Logic 2.5 LED Light

4. Back To Top    #4

3 year old pool and CH is at the same level as original water? Unless you are adding water with zero CH in it, I'm not quite sure that is possible How are you measuring CH?

5. Back To Top    #5

iggy, do you have borates in your pool?