Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing FNS 60 Plus Filter Grids

1. Back To Top    #1

Chesapeake, VA

Replacing FNS 60 Plus Filter Grids

First year owning this house and inground pool. Getting ready to open and went to clean the filter grids today. Glad I did. At least 4 of the 8 grids were broken (the plastic pipes that run down the length of the grids were cracked and at least one was poking through!). Anyway, my first order of business is to get some replacements (please chime in hear if anyone thinks replacing the entire filter is better than simply fixing it).

I searched online for Pentair FNS 60 Plus parts and found plenty of suppliers.

Found these 'generic' grids: ... 0292350349

Does anyone have experience with these?

Any other recommendations for replacement grids?
    38,000 gallon IG vinyl-lined pool
    Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter
    CompuPool 48 SWG
    Solar Heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Coastalish 'down easter'

Re: Replacing FNS 60 Plus Filter Grids

It looks like they are the standard "Unicell" replacement grids

The price, including the ~ $20 shipping, is good for the full set

As long as the rest of the filter is fine, don't forget to check the manifold!, $170 to have a new set of grids is a lot better than the expense of a new filter

I would save any of the old grids that are still in tact, just in case something ever happens to one of the new ones

All new grids will also ensure that the filter performs properly (who knows what the previous owners did to them, like acid washing them without first degreasing them )

Have a great summer with your, almost, new filter
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

North Central Texas

Re: Replacing FNS 60 Plus Filter Grids

Be sure to check the nibs on the manifold top and bottom to make sure they are not broken or cracking, that is if the manifold has little nibs that hold the grids in place. I had intact manifold on my old filter but several of the nibs were cracked and a couple broken. It made for the grids not being separated properly so that the DE coating was uneven giving inefficient filtering and quick rise in psi. The manifolds are pretty expensive as I recall. Replacing a manifold can raise the price considerably so that a purchase of new filter can become more reasonable. You are lucky that the filter is pretty large as some inefficiency is more tolerable on a 60 sq ft compared to an undersized for the (pool and pump) 36 sq ft.

1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine