Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intex SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex SWG

I just bought a new Intex SWG and they now come with a copper ion generator also, should I still use it
    or just disconnect the copper ion gen ?
    12x24 AG 8.7k, 27" sand filter w/1 HP 2 speed Dynamo ,1 main,1 skimmer and 2 returns, 2" PVC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex SWG

Definitely disconect the copper ion generator. Remember no copper in your pool!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Whaddid Intex have to go and ruin a good thing for?

Definitely disconnect....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Got it, I returned the new one and found an 2009 with no copper ionizer for $134 online and free shipping !
    12x24 AG 8.7k, 27" sand filter w/1 HP 2 speed Dynamo ,1 main,1 skimmer and 2 returns, 2" PVC

5. Back To Top    #5

Great! I hope yours gives you the good service that mine has.

Question - was the ion generator easy to disconnect, or was it part of the cell? Or did you look that closely?
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

6. Back To Top    #6

I have the same intex model that he returned and its very easy to remove, unscrew thread, remove electrical connection, replace thread. I left copper block in there since i cant find the right size cap to seal the hole if i remove it, but without power its all good.
    Intex 18' AGP - Intex SWG - 19 inch Sand Dollar Sand Filter - 1HP Pentair Dynamo Pump - 4X20 Solar Panel - Goldline Solar Controller.

7. Back To Top    #7

Dose this new Intex with the ion generator remember what run time was programmed if there is a power loss?
    22 x 40 IG vinyl lined, 23,570 gal.
    1 hp. Pac-Fab Challenger pump 300# sand filter
    Intex 8110 SWG, Hayward CL220 offline feeder
    Hayward 250K Btu gas heater
    Aquabots

8. Back To Top    #8

Kinda, it remembers how long it should run, but not when. i get around this by having it run on the same timer as my pump, then i can do pump 3 hours, with swg set to 2 hours and it works no matter what. kinda anoying that they made it remember the hours, just not when to start though.
    Intex 18' AGP - Intex SWG - 19 inch Sand Dollar Sand Filter - 1HP Pentair Dynamo Pump - 4X20 Solar Panel - Goldline Solar Controller.

9. Back To Top    #9

Remembering the set run time is all that it needed, IMHO.
    To remember when to start, it would have to have a real time clock, and then you'd have to set the clock!
    That's why most ECGs are powered with the pump and just have a % power setting, they don't need to know how long to run at one time, they just run a % of a set time, which can lead to inaccuracy in figuring run time.
    That is really what you have too, each hour is 1/12 (8.3%) of max generation capacity, because it is limited to 12 hours/day (at least that is what the 2008 8110 model does.) If you have your pump set to run for less then 12 hours then your power % for each hour is 1/(pump hours), ie.. for a 10 hour pump run time each hour of ECG run is exactly 10% power!
    For the other ECGs that use a power period of say 2 hours, the display may say 50%, but the actual generation on a pump run time of 3 hours could vary anywhere from 66-33% depending on whether it generates the first of the two hour period or waits first (it would run 2 out of 3, or 1 out of 3 hours.)
    And for the price, it can't be beat!(Assuming the price hasn't gone up, and the grams/hour generation is the same.)
    Good Luck, and Best Wishes!!!
    Aquabots

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, it disconnects easily, I didn't want the copper blocking the flow and doing nothing and I saved 50 bucks with the 2009 model

I'll just have to watchout for power outages

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by New2Me
    Remembering the set run time is all that it needed, IMHO.
    To remember when to start, it would have to have a real time clock, and then you'd have to set the clock!
    That's why most ECGs are powered with the pump and just have a % power setting, they don't need to know how long to run at one time, they just run a % of a set time, which can lead to inaccuracy in figuring run time.
    Majority of reverse polarity units keep track of how long they run, Intex would be pretty much the only one that doesn't (is it even reverse polarity?).

12. Back To Top    #12

I also have the new swg from intex. I have removed the black electrical connection from the top of the copper ionizer now i have to exposed posts sticking up. Is the right or should a cover them up??
    Sydney Australia, 90000 litres, IG, Pebblecrete, Sand filter, LM2-24

13. Back To Top    #13

If you never plan on using them I wouldn't worry about covering them. They'll probably last longer than the SWG not covered. I just disconnected the one on my SIL's pool and left it uncovered.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Ok thanks. Just wanted to make sure it wasnt a electrical hazard or something.
    Sydney Australia, 90000 litres, IG, Pebblecrete, Sand filter, LM2-24

15. Back To Top    #15

My filter has 1.5" female npt thread. Anyone know where I can get an adapter 1.5"mpt X whatever that Intex hose coupling screws on to?? Anyone know what brand, type, model or anything about that coupling..?
    I called Intex and the customer service guy couldn't tell me...

16. Back To Top    #16

You have to make your own. There is a lot of info in this thread - intex-swg-t1090.html

Good Luck, and Best Wishes!!!
    Aquabots

17. Back To Top    #17

Haha. Yep, it would be too simple for them to stock a 1.5mpt x intex thread half to fit their hose coupling.. But, thanks for the info.

18. Back To Top    #18

Looks like Intex uses Hayward fittings...I found them on shoplandmarkpools.com
    I ordered three of the SP1495 couplings(1.5" female threads both ends). It looks to be what Intex uses, with the O-Ring in the coupling. Will let ya'll know...

19. Back To Top    #19

I guess I should have called it a "union"...Same thing I reckon.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by divinduck
    Got it, I returned the new one and found an 2009 with no copper ionizer for $134 online and free shipping !
    Would you please tell us where you found this one at? I am hoping it was not just a sale price. The lowest price I have found, as of tonight, is $199, plus S&H. I will keep looking, though. Thanks for all the info, everyone!!
    30' round AGP, 21,240 gallons
    Sta-Rite 1.5 hp pump, sand filter with Zeobrite
    Aquabot Pool Rover Jr.; Polaris 65
    BBB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast