Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lawnmower Class Action Settlement

1. Back To Top    #1
    SW Indiana

Lawnmower Class Action Settlement

I got a notice in the mail about this.

Ever wondered how the 3 H.P mowers of your youth became 5 and 6 H.P with out gaining any displacement or computer controls? The obvious ways - marketing lies, cheating and deception!

Thank God pool equipment makers don't try to get away with those tactics!
    22 x 40 IG vinyl lined, 23,570 gal.
    1 hp. Pac-Fab Challenger pump 300# sand filter
    Intex 8110 SWG, Hayward CL220 offline feeder
    Hayward 250K Btu gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: Lawnmower Class Action Settlement

I got one too, and yes, I have always wondered about that. It seems like every couple of years or so, they tack on another 0.5 HP to the label. My 3 year old Tecumseh-powered Toro walk-behind has a sticker on the top that says 6.5 HP, but it sure doesn't seem to have any more power than the old 3 HP Toro (not self-propelled) that I used to push through 4" St. Augustine at the age of 13.

I still like my Toro 6.5 HP mower. But if I had the opportunity to do it over, I would have spent the extra cash and gotten the commercial version with the Honda engine and a MUCH larger bagging capacity. Seems like with this one, I am having to empty the bag every three strips or so. I will give Tecumseh and Briggs this though, they are really easy to work on as far as engines go and you can find parts for them anywhere.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3
    North Richland Hills, TX

I got the same postcard. I think lawn mowers have gone the same way cars have. Better fuel mileage and less emissions. That robs 'real' HP.
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

4. Back To Top    #4
    Toms River, NJ

It would be nice if the horsepower was measured at the working end point. I believe outboards do this now. Cars horsepower ratings are for crankshaft not brake horsepower, different things. Just an unknowledgable rant.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG