timer for pump or just manually plug/unplug?

Jeff74

Mar 10, 2010
Huntington, WV
We just had our 24' AGP installed this week and we are in the process of filling it up. I was wondering about the pump. Should I just plug and unplug it when we want to use it? Should I find some sort of outdoor timer and use it that way? Or should I consider installing a switch and hardwiring it?

What setup do you have?

I recommend you purchase a timer for use on pools - that way you can set the run time for whenever you like and you don't have to worry about forgetting to turn the pump on/off. On the other hand, if it's a 2 speed pump you can just let it run on low 24/7.

I don't recommend the plug/unplug method. That's really rough on the plug blades and receptacle. The arcing will burn them up. A timer is your best bet. It saves you having to remember to go out and turn it on and more importantly to turn it off.

I just use a simple 15A wall timer that's protected from the elements. Works great for mine, my pump doesn't pull more than 15A. You can also get 20A versions for heavier duty stuff. They are like $20 I think.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Poolidiot said:
I would suggest putting in a timer AND a switch wired ahead of the timer.

Since you have to have a dedicated circuit and line for the pump...you can have the electrician wire the timer right off of your circuit box in the basement or where ever that is...This way it is out of the way and you can control it from inside the house. It might just be easier...You could also look at a timer with multiple settings...run in early morning shut off in the later part of the day...then back on over night what ever you need.

cubbybeave08 said:
Poolidiot said:

you can have the electrician wire the timer right off of your circuit box in the basement or where ever that is...This way it is out of the way and you can control it from inside the house.

I was not recommending the switch ahead of the timer for turning it off and on, It is there as a disconnect for any time you have to work on the timer /circuit.

Poolidiot said:
cubbybeave08 said:
Poolidiot said:

you can have the electrician wire the timer right off of your circuit box in the basement or where ever that is...This way it is out of the way and you can control it from inside the house.

I was not recommending the switch ahead of the timer for turning it off and on, It is there as a disconnect for any time you have to work on the timer /circuit.

I don't think I was replying directly to your suggestion...I think I just hit quote instead of just reply. I was saying putting the timer in side might be a good idea...If I had it to do over again...I would do this...because on mornings like today It would have been nice to go down and reset the timer from the basement instead of having to reset it by walking outside when it was 41 degree's.

In preparation for having my 16x32 AGP installed on May 10th (God willing) I had the electrician run a line from my breaker box(dedicated breaker) to the rear of my house. Had a Tork time switch wired before the dual plug. Think the timer was around 85.00 or so. Has metal set screws, not plastic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.