Hello Everyone. Hayward filter ?

Mar 31, 2010
Mobile, al
Just wanted to say hello. I am in the middle of installing a new hayward super pump and 24" top mount sand filter. My question is, The owners man. says 300lbs. of sand should come to within 6" of the top, It is more like 12" from the top do I need to add more or go with it like it is?

Thanks'
Nate

Hi, Nate,

Welcome to the forum. The amount of clear space above the sand, called "freeboard", is important to the correct operation of the filter. I would look back thru a manual, go online, or call the manufacturer to get that dimension clarified.

Actually, I would've guessed about 8-9 inches. 12 sounds too low but 6 might be a little high. Sorry to be so wishy-washy. Others who know that filter may have a definitive response.

Thanks for the answers, filter and pump are in. Now my swamp is well on it's way back to being nice and clean. I am a new pool owner; I had it for a couple of months last summer. I let it go over the winter with the plan of pumping it out for a plaster job or fresh coat of paint this spring, but with all the rain our water table is up right now and money is tight. We will swim it this season then get some estimates on new plaster. Thanks to everyone on this board for all the great info

Nate

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.