Acid pump too loud?

Lazyman

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 25, 2009
NJ
How loud is your acid pump?

I have nothing to compare it to, so I'm not sure how loud it should be. I have a Pool Pilot TC system with acid tank. The pump, when running, has a very loud hum to it. It seems to be working fine, but I can hear it inside my house through many walls. I hear it in the middle of the night and at all hours whenever it runs. It is only for a few seconds, but I can imagine my (close) neighbors are starting to dislike the noise. It's louder than my filter pump.

I have the tank set down on brick pavers, and it is in a 3 sided enclosure. Two sides of the enclosure is lattice with the holes in them. Only the back is plywood. Could it be that, or is the pump really that loud? It has always been the same volume.

I have one of of those and you can hear it, but only distantly. It makes sort of a clicking chug chug hum. My equipment shed is completely enclosed. Standing nearby, you can definitely hear it over the pump but it is not anything I would call loud.

Try an experiment, if you can. Pick up the tank while it is running and see if that makes it quieter. If that works, try putting some pieces of rubber mat between the tank and floor. That will help prevent the sound from transmitting through to the shed, which can amplify the noises.

While noise is subjective, in general Stenner pumps should not be louder than your circulation pump. Later in life if the rotor bearings wear out or if the gears need greasing they can get noisy...it's almost like a grinding sound. However, since yours is on a Total Control I don't think it could be old enough to do that unless it has been subjected to some very harsh weather.

Stenner's got pretty good customer service if you want to ask them. 800-683-2378.

They are very easy to repair/rebuild if you do have an issue.

Here's the owner's manual:

http://www.stenner.com/download/CM409.pdf

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.