Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Acid pump too loud?

1. Back To Top    #1

Acid pump too loud?

How loud is your acid pump?

I have nothing to compare it to, so I'm not sure how loud it should be. I have a Pool Pilot TC system with acid tank. The pump, when running, has a very loud hum to it. It seems to be working fine, but I can hear it inside my house through many walls. I hear it in the middle of the night and at all hours whenever it runs. It is only for a few seconds, but I can imagine my (close) neighbors are starting to dislike the noise. It's louder than my filter pump.

I have the tank set down on brick pavers, and it is in a 3 sided enclosure. Two sides of the enclosure is lattice with the holes in them. Only the back is plywood. Could it be that, or is the pump really that loud? It has always been the same volume.
    18' x 54" Round AG 7500 gallon w/small prefab 2-piece fandeck
    Waterways 200sf Cartridge Filter, 1.5 hp 2-speed pump. 2" pvc piping
    Pool Pilot Total Control swg w/acid tank feeder
    Pool Rover Jr., BBB, TF 100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Acid pump too loud?

I have one of of those and you can hear it, but only distantly. It makes sort of a clicking chug chug hum. My equipment shed is completely enclosed. Standing nearby, you can definitely hear it over the pump but it is not anything I would call loud.

Try an experiment, if you can. Pick up the tank while it is running and see if that makes it quieter. If that works, try putting some pieces of rubber mat between the tank and floor. That will help prevent the sound from transmitting through to the shed, which can amplify the noises.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Good idea, thanks. Maybe I should just put it on a mat either way. That's probably better than directly on pavers.
    18' x 54" Round AG 7500 gallon w/small prefab 2-piece fandeck
    Waterways 200sf Cartridge Filter, 1.5 hp 2-speed pump. 2" pvc piping
    Pool Pilot Total Control swg w/acid tank feeder
    Pool Rover Jr., BBB, TF 100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

While noise is subjective, in general Stenner pumps should not be louder than your circulation pump. Later in life if the rotor bearings wear out or if the gears need greasing they can get noisy...it's almost like a grinding sound. However, since yours is on a Total Control I don't think it could be old enough to do that unless it has been subjected to some very harsh weather.

Stenner's got pretty good customer service if you want to ask them. 800-683-2378.

They are very easy to repair/rebuild if you do have an issue.

Here's the owner's manual:

http://www.stenner.com/download/CM409.pdf
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.