Pump Strainer Housing/Lid

That's the same pump I have. The lid has an o-ring embedded in it and a channel on either side below the handle that slides over a lip on the outer edge of the pump pot. I have to keep the o-ring lubed and push the lid very firmly onto the pump pot so that the channels on the lid slide over the lip while I turn the lid and lock it into place. If the lid is not all the way down it will leak. Also check and make sure the lip of the pump pot is not cracked or broken.

That's the same pump I have. I'm not sure how old mine is, but it's 6 years or less. (For some reason, the previous owner had a second pump, so I don't know if the one that is on the pool now is the original or a replacement. Both work just fine.) Anyway, the lid on mine is snug when I first push it down, and then gets somewhat tighter as I lock it. (This lid turns a few degrees to lock in place.) Does yours turn all the way to the stops? (Look at where the catches on the lid wind up compared to the molded stops on the housing.) From your previous descriptions, it sounds as if it is loose when you push it down into the housing, and never tightens up.

From looking at mine, I can only see three things that might cause it to be loose:
1. The lip where the o-ring fits on the lid is broken. This should be really obvious
2. You're using the wrong o-ring, or the o-ring is shot. The manual should tell you which o-ring you need.
3. The housing itself is cracked, and thus spreading open as you mount the lid. I would expect you to see a leak wherever that crack is though.

Those are the only things I can think of that would cause the lid to not fight snugly, and to leak.

[EDIT] I didn't see Zea's response before I posted, so it's somewhat duplicated :mrgreen: [/EDIT]

Hello Everyone, sorry for the absense but I've been awaiting the arrival of the new lid that I ordered last week. In the mean time, I've been trying not to focus on it because as another member is threatning to do, I too think it could be a good idea for my problem "throw in the hand grenade"... (funny but true)

The lid will be in today and when I get home tonight, I'll see what happens. As to answer the last several questions you all had:

Does the lid top screw down into the basket? No, it doesn't screw down, just slides down into place and then you turn into the lock position.

If the lid is not all the way down it will leak. Also check and make sure the lip of the pump pot is not cracked or broken. The lid is pushed all the way down and locks into the correct position so that the notches on the side of the housing are at the place they should be. Also, I have put plenty of magic lube on the o-ring so that shouldn't be the problem. The housing is new and I don't see any cracks.

1. The lip where the o-ring fits on the lid is broken. This should be really obvious. Hum, the lip you are speaking about, is that the indention that the o ring sits down INTO on the lid not on? Because mine sits INTO an indention on the lid not on the lid without the indention. Confusing I know.

2. You're using the wrong o-ring, or the o-ring is shot. The manual should tell you which o-ring you need. I went to the pool supply by my house and purchased a Hayward o ring and still got the same leak. I then went to a different pool supply and purchased another o ring and they are identical. I then went to a local manufacturer/distributor of o rings and took the lid and ask if they had something a little bigger and they said nothing bigger around would work because then I wouldn't be able to close the lid. :grrrr:

3. The housing itself is cracked, and thus spreading open as you mount the lid. I would expect you to see a leak wherever that crack is though. The housing is new and the leak is the same with the new housing or the old one (which was new last season)

From the lid sliding into place so easily with little to no pressure makes me think the problem is the lid. When I get home tonight and after replacing the lids, if I still get the leak, I'll move onto check the pressure again to see if that's the problem. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

bbecky75 said:
1. The lip where the o-ring fits on the lid is broken. This should be really obvious. Hum, the lip you are speaking about, is that the indention that the o ring sits down INTO on the lid not on? Because mine sits INTO an indention on the lid not on the lid without the indention. Confusing I know.

Right. The o-ring fits into an indentation on the lid. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Good luck with the new lid. Let us know what you come up with.

Hello Everyone, the lid has finally came in and tomorrow's the day. If it turns out to not be the lid, I'm going to proceed with checking the pressure. Crazy as it is there are no valves so the only thing it could be pressure wise would be the water level or the filter, correct????

Hey, TimS thanks for the clarification on the o ring, I'm a newbie and wanted to be sure I'm not missing something.

Again, Thanks for all the help. :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

:wave: Sooooo happy!!! The new lid works great!!! Funny though, when I went out to take of the old one, it was very hard to remove and seemed to have been sealed. I'm thinking the heat of the days had expanded it because it went on/off so much easier a couple of weeks ago.... Don't know, don't care, I'm up and running. Finally!!!! :party: :cheers: :whoot: :party: :cheers: :whoot: :cheers: :whoot:

Thanks for everyone!!!!!! Happy Swimming!!!! :cheers:

Oh, and may the "Pool Gods" be with you as they were me. Get this, the cover had been blown off by a storm back in November and I just never got it back on. When it was blown off, all the leaves and gunk got into the pool so this is why I'm opening so early to try and eliminate excess algea. Well over the past month the pool went from clear to so brown you couldn't see the bottom (looked like dark tea). I go out yesterday to put the new lid on and notice the pool is clear :? At the time I hadn't added any chemicals so go figure... Thank you "Pool Gods"!!!! I vacuumed today and added bleach to shock level so we'll see what tomorrow holds.

:party: :whoot:

Hello, can anyone explain how the water cleared itself up??? :? :? I'm totally happy but confused.... The test results were obviously no clorine, but off the chart PH, very low CYA, low TA and perfect hardness...

Oh, before discovering this site, I had gone to the robbers (pool supply) and they sold me calcium hardness even though I told them I had a vinyle liner. Should I use it or return it? :cool:

Have a great day!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.