opened pool, slightly green water, starting to shock it

May 17, 2009
Jasper, TN
I know this has probably been asked a million times, but just a little nervous as this the first 'opening' I've had since we got the pool last summer.

I don't have all the numbers yet, but the main thing is I need to triple check on it the CC.

CYA is about 35
used walmart kit for PH test, used a little muriatic acid to drop the PH to what looks like 7.4 on the chart.

I didn't use pool calc yet as I knew I'd need a lot of bleach to start with since it was a little green (cover slipped in pool over the winter but kept it from becoming a total swamp).

Right now, used fas/dpd test, FC=12 and CC=0

water is not sparkling clear but not what you'd call cloudy either, no green left of course.

So do I need to go up more and keep it shock level? or is ok to let FC fall back down? I'll be adding more CYA once shock is done so my target will change as I adjust CYA.

Post a full set of numbers if you can.

If your CC is truly 0, then it looks like you got the algae. If it were me, and it wasn't sparkly yet, I'd keep the FC up for another day, but you can let it come back down to normal levels.

Did you do an overnight FC loss test? To see if the FC is holding overnight - then you'll know if you are done shocking and can let it drop down to normal, letting the filter do the trick. But you have to confirm that first thru the overnight test. IF the FC holds overnight, you could try a little DE in the sand filter to help with clarity - instructions are in pool school.

So do I need to go up more and keep it shock level? or is ok to let FC fall back down?
You are finished with the shock process when..
1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Get that pool water sparkling....keep the chlorine up!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.