Loss of suction

Apr 30, 2009
I have an old in ground pool, probably built in the 50's. I installed a Pentair whisperflo 2 speed pump last year and everything went pretty smooth. I also have a 48 sq. ft. DE filter with new grids. All of the original lines appear to be 1 1/2".

Everything was running normal last week, I did have a couple of small leaks but I took care of them. Here's the problem, when I start the pump everything is fine for about 10 seconds and then it will lose suction then it will build pressure and then lose it. This cycle will continue over and over. Again, no discernible leaks, filter is clean and the water coming into the pump is clear (no dirt).

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Trace :(

Are you seeing air in the pump basket? Sounds like you have a suction leak somewhere. Start by checking the pump basket lid. Make sure the o-ring is lubed. From there it's a matter of checking the suction piping from the pool to the pump.

Got it fixed. The skimmer door was hanging and blocking some of the water from entering the return. I feel like a newbie, maybe because it's the beginning of the season. :)

Thanks for everyones help.

Trace

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.