Solar panel install question

May 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Pipe question.
I have 2 inch pipes for the pumps, However my Solar panels are 1.5". I have a pretty long run to the panels. 1.5 inch would be easier to work with since weight and cost is lower. Should I run 1.5" pipe up to the roof or use 2" pipe then reduce the diameter at the panel.

layout question.
the way my roof is to the equipment pad. I have 4 2x20 panels. To have it self draining I need to install the panel
Horizontally - water flowing across side ways. or strap the panel over the apex of the roof.
Can those configuration work?

I would go with 2" pipe to keep the friction loss down.

As for the layout it is hard to visualize what you are considering but I do not understand why you need to install the panels horizontal to have them self draining. Panels will drain from the vacuum release in both directions and the draining process creates a vacuum which will help drain the panels and suck most of the water from them but you can still get some water trapped in the plumbing if there are local high points so you will want to avoid that if possible. Normally, you will just need to tilt the panels only slightly toward the supply line so that the water will naturally flow toward the pipe. Both the return and supply pipes should have a slight tilt along the roof toward the pump.

Here is a good illustration on how to tilt the panels.

I fixed the link. JohnT

Thanks for the link check and fix.

As for Fafco panels, this could be definitional but they show them verticle in the manual here and also shown here. I know that EDPM panels are usually installed horizontally and so are the above ground panels but the polypropylene are normally installed vertically. Doesn't mean that they wouldn't work the other way but that is what I have seen them installed most often.

mas985 said:
As for Fafco panels, this could be definitional but they show them verticle in the manual here and also shown here. I know that EDPM panels are usually installed horizontally and so are the above ground panels but the polypropylene are normally installed vertically. Doesn't mean that they wouldn't work the other way but that is what I have seen them installed most often.

That's the 12' panels shown in the pics. I'm talking about the fafco sungrabber 2' x 20' panels- which is the size the OP noted he had. See installation manual here that specifies horizontal installation only. http://www.inyopools.com/owners_manual/ ... ground.pdf

If you have a warranty issue, they require a photo of your installation to make sure you did not install them vertically which would void the warranty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.