Pump has small leak

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
I took apart and cleaned my DE filter. I put it all back togeher and I had leaks where the rubber seal is between the top and bottom. So I got some sealant and put it on and let it set for two days to get nice and dry. I had no leaks for about a week and now have a very small leak on the side. It is a very slight leak and some seems to dry before it goes all the way down. I know some of it hits the groud due to it being wet around the pump. The pressure is doing fine with no issues. Is this something I need to fix right away or can I jus wait until it really starts to leak if it does and then I would think I need a new seal. I am also thinking maybe I put too much sealant and it was not an even coating and that is causing some of the leaks. I can take pics tonight if need be.

Thanks.

There should be a large rubber o-ring that seals between the two halves of the filter housing. I believe it is part #34 in the diagram you linked to. You should open the filter up and clean and lubricate that o-ring with a silicone plumbers/pool lubricant. Also check that it doesn't have any nicks or cuts in it. If it does, it needs to be replaced. Also, when tightening up the clamp ring, tighten it as much as you can easily, then tap lightly with a mallet or hammer on the clamp ring all around the filter, and tighten it again. This tap/tighten process may need to be repeated several times, depending on what condition everything is in.

JasonLion said:
There should be a large rubber o-ring that seals between the two halves of the filter housing. I believe it is part #34 in the diagram you linked to. You should open the filter up and clean and lubricate that o-ring with a silicone plumbers/pool lubricant. Also check that it doesn't have any nicks or cuts in it. If it does, it needs to be replaced. Also, when tightening up the clamp ring, tighten it as much as you can easily, then tap lightly with a mallet or hammer on the clamp ring all around the filter, and tighten it again. This tap/tighten process may need to be repeated several times, depending on what condition everything is in.

Is the O ring something I should be able to pick up local? Also what does the tap/tighten exaclty do? I am guessing it readjust the clamp tightness? I may go ahead and replace the O ring. When I lubricate it, do I need to lubricate the ring or the part of the pump it sits on. Such as the metal?

Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.