Bait and Switch?

Mar 15, 2010
So my contractor gave me a quote for Diamond Brite and a sample board. The quote was for "blue". After looking at the sample board (which didn't even include blue) I told him we wanted "super blue" he told me that if we want Diamond Brite super blue it would not be a an up charge but I would have to pay freight (which is expensive) since they don't stock "super blue". he then proceeded to tell me he can get me a "diamond brite" type of plater in super blue from a local guy which comes with the same warranty and he says is the exact same.

Kind of feel like I was sold a brand and now I am being told the generic is just as good but costs the same.

Do the knock offs of diamond brite cost the same or should I be expecting him to reduce his price?
Is he padding his profit at my expense?
Is the generic just as good as the brand name?

We just completed our pool a few months ago, and for us, staying with reputable brands and certified installers was the primary reason we had a successful project with very few speed bumps. I don't know if this is a bait and switch, but it sounds like your long-term risk goes way up by using an unknown "local guy" instead of a certified installer.

RED FLAG!!! This doesn't sound right at all. He gave you a quote for a product, he needs to supply that product or one that you deem acceptable, like DB Super Blue instead of DB Blue. I would NOT go with the generic from 'a local guy he knows'...
He should show you the sample of DB Blue so you can choose that one, which is the quoted version. Or if there is not a DB Blue, you need to cry Foul now, because today it is a different plaster, tomorrow it is different equipment or decking...

Whoa, before you hang the contractor,

A quartz finish with some blue specks would qualify as blue. Any super blue would probably include cobalt oxide to dye the cement, which costs more.

It sounds like he is saying that you would save shipping costs by using the available mix that is in inventory. He is probably using the same plasterer regardless of the brand name of the mix. The cost basis difference between brand names isn't great enough to justify a "bait and switch". If you have had a good relationship with your builder so far, you shouldn't throw him under the bus for this.

I don't want to throw anyone under the bus. Just wanted to know if brand matters? Is diamond brite a brand or a type of finish. In my opinion it is a brand. If you are not selling the brand don't sell the brand.

Diamond Brite is a specific brand marketed by SGM - Southern Grout and Morter.
There is a "Blue" listed, as well as SuperBlue and several other Blues.
http://www.sgm.cc/html/swim/pool_finishes.html

I was not suggesting tossing folks into traffic... it just sounds pretty suspicious ... "Here is a quote, but I don't actually carry that product, but I know this guy, if you just pay extra and I will refund your dollarsUS to your account which number you give to me..."

There are differences in different brands of aggregate surfaces... the size of the pebble, for instance. Are some better quality than others? I suspect so, as that is pretty much the way of the world!!

As with everything, buyer beware! Be cautious, ask questions (which you are!!) and don't do anything that doesn't 'feel' right.

At the risk of defending the bad guy, isn't he offering the Diamond Brite blue as per the contract? It sounds like he is trying to accomodate your change order and minimize your costs. If he has the product in stock that you contracted for and would have to order and pay shipping for the change order he is entitled to charge for it. There doesn't seem to be any malice in his suggested alternative.

Chicago- see if the pool builder will give you the brand name of the local product. You can post the brand name here so you can get feedback for that brand. Also ask the builder for references for pools he built with this specific product. Talk to the owners and see if they are happy with the finish and to see if it will give you the look you want.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.