PLEASE HELP with SWG spa

rpj

Apr 5, 2010
Thanks for the great info on this site!
I am very frustrated with my spa. It is an Arctic Spa with a SWG. The SWG stopped working last summer and was replaced. We have been having problems with a smell and brown gunk (algae I'm assuming) ever since. It seems like we can't get fully rid of it. I did a spa decontamination by putting in the solution to clean out the pipes, drained the water removed filter. New water and got the FC level up to 100 and left that overnight. Drained, refilled and put in new filter and salt. I have been testing the water daily, but only with the strips because I am waiting for my test kit to arrive. One week later I still have brown stuff growing and my brand new filter is all brown and gross looking!!!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rob

Did you circulate the high FC water thru the piping filter before it sat overnight?
How did you get the FC up to 100? I'm not aware of a test strip that goes that high...

So when you test daily, what does it show, FC wise? Is this spa kept covered, uncovered? Is there CYA in the water?
What was the "solution to clean out the pipes?"

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a feel for the situation. :)
Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Did you circulate the high FC water thru the piping filter before it sat overnight?
Yes, I let it circulate probably for a total of 2 hours.
How did you get the FC up to 100? I'm not aware of a test strip that goes that high...
I used the pool calculator to determine how much bleach to add.
So when you test daily, what does it show, FC wise?
The strips I use don't seem to be accurate, I am waiting for the test kit to arrive. But it has to make it across the border (I'm in Canada) so I am going to pick up some drops to test for that today.
Is this spa kept covered, uncovered?
Covered
Is there CYA in the water?
Sorry don't have the test kit yet
What was the "solution to clean out the pipes?"
Arctic Pure 'Fresh Start' which is a hot water spa flush

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a feel for the situation. :)
Welcome to TFP! :wave:
Thanks! :cheers:

I've never checked a filter after 1 week so I don't know if that's normal or not. :lol:

Ok, you say you don't think the strips are accurate (which I agree with) but are they showing chlorine present when you use them? And if they don't, are you adding more chlorine? or are you getting low or zero readings?

I suggest you read this article:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/deco...ow-how-long-t17421.html?hilit=decontamination
the information might be helpful.

I read the article. Thanks, for the link.
I am getting nothing on the strips at all. But even when the SWG seemed to be working nothing showed up on them either. So I'm a bit confused on that.
I went to the Spa store today and they informed me that Arctic has them replacing all the SWG stuff altogether (Onzen system). They are scheduled to come out Thursday to do the service...
the saga continues

Well, this is a warranty covered service I hope? :)

In any event, if you test and see no free chlorine, either the SWG (new) isn't producing chlorine, or something organic is consuming the chlorine. So when you test, even with a strip, and detect no chorine, you need to pour in some bleach... every time and continue this until the FC holds. if you were not manually adding chlorine then whatever is causing the brown gunk just grows uncontrolled whether the SWG is functioning or not. If the decontamination process didn't work the first time, try it again.

Also, are you following the method here for chlorinating your spa? Using a little dichlor at first then switching to your swg or bleach? You need a little bit of CYA in the spa. Make sure you follow the steps for proper water balance from the get go - and then it sounds like you still need to change out the water after a few months and start fresh.

Keep us posted...

Thank you for your response Mod Squad!
Yes it's covered under warranty, thankfully.

I was going to switch to the method posted here because I was so frustrated, but I thought I would see what happens when they fix the SWG. They said the fix they have been using since November has been working well.
If the SWG is working, my understanding is that I wouldn't need to add bleach and the SWG should be taking care of that, is that correct?
Should I still add some Dichlor to get the CYA levels up? If so where do I buy it?

Thanks,
Rob

That's correct, the swg will produce the daily chlorine, assuming there is nothing left lurking that will overwhelm it - thus another shock process/deconamination using bleach is probably a good idea. Once everything that was causing the gunk is dead via bleach, your SWG if functioning properly should be all you need.

You can usually find 1 lb bags and 2 lb cannisters of Dichlor at most pool/spa dealers, sometimes Lowes, etc with pool department has it. Look for "dichloro-s-triazinetrione" on the label. You can use the "effects of adding chemicals" section of the pool calculator to determine how much dichlor to use to get your CYA up to about 20-30ppm.

Ok,

I'm getting everything balanced, and understanding the chemistry a bit better, but i made a boo-boo and added too much dichlor. :roll: :oops:
So what is the easiest way to get the FC levels down?

Thanks,
Rob

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's a 10 on my strips, and an orange color with the drop kit...
so I'm not sure exactly. I added a capful. I did calculate it with the pool calculator, but in the past when I calculated the amount of bleach i needed it always seemed to be not enough... so I added more to be on the 'safe' side.

Note to self, do not adjust hot tub chemistry after drinking wine. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.