What is it with me and IC20?

Aug 31, 2009
Austin, TX
Haven't posted since September; thanks to reading this forum, everything has been "troublefree"

A week ago, NO lights on the replacement NIB Pentair IC20 that I bought off eBay 7 months ago. Yes, yes, Caveat Emptor and all that, but it was only $330 and funds were/are tight. Any tips on how I can troubleshoot this? I took the cover off the Power Center and nothing looks smoked or fried, I see a single green light in the Power Center, but I haven't yet found a way to verify power is actually getting to the CELL

SN 029841 v1.6 (maybe I get lucky and this was a bad version or serial number range that Pentair will gleefully acknowledge?)

I've upped the chlorine levels manually until this gets taken care of, but if anyone has any experience or can help me troubleshoot, I'd be much obliged.

I thought the IC20 was supposed to be a good unit? If I DO have to replace it, I'll stay out of eBay and get a warranty. Maybe I should spend the extra $$ and get an IC40 as was suggested in another thread?

Thanks again,

Stewart

Strannik said:
are you sure the cell doesn't have a warranty?
even if it came from eBay, unless it's counterfeit the manufacturer should still give you warranty on it.

You'd THINK that wouldn't you? :) Just got off the phone with Pentair and they want an original receipt. I've emailed the seller, but I'm PRETTY sure the auction was "as is, no warranty"

I guess I'll start looking around for yet another replacement IC20 cell unless I get more info

I would email pentair a copy of your ebay receipt. Just because you purchased this on ebay doesn't necessarily void the MFG. warranty.

Their warranty states "This warranty extends to the original retail owner (Customer) only, beginning on the date of installation and is not enforceable by any other parties. Proof of purchase and/or date of installation will be required for all warranty claims. Customer agrees to pay all shipping charges to Pentair Water."

How does Pentair know that the person you purchased from isn't a dealer selling on ebay? I wonder if Pentair has any info on the S/N? I wouldn't just let this go so easily, make Pentair provide some info on your unit.

Trace

The receipt has the name of the seller on it. If the seller isn't an authorized Pentair dealer then you are not the "original retail owner". Retail owner in this case meaning the first person in the sales chain who isn't an authorized dealer/distributor.

Does it say authorized dealer? I'll have to check when I get home. It probably doesn't and in that case it leaves some wiggle room as to who is the "original retail customer" Just because a non authorized person sold the unit doesn't void the warranty.

Every word of that warranty has a purpose and understanding that purpose is key to understanding the warranty.

JasonLion said:
The receipt has the name of the seller on it.

The Ebay receipt has an Ebay username which is usually a Nickname. It's rarely ever the legal name of the company (due to length/number of characters).

I know though that it's a long shot and the seller may not be an authorized seller..

BUT.....

All Pentair can do is say no.

They asked for the receipt, give it to them. Either fax or email it to them first or send in the whole unit with it, all it will cost you is a few bucks in shipping. You never know what they may do. They may just send it back or fix it for no charge for the sake of customer service. Or give a break on repairs.

So bottom line is you have a unit not working.... it's not going to get worse to ship it to them with your Ebay receipt JUST TO SEE what happens.

I sent Nikon an older zoom lens with AF (automatic focus) a couple of years ago. It stopped AF'ing (lol). I bought it used (probably Ebay). I contacted Nikon and asked for a quote on repair and they gave me a flat rate charge which was cheaper than buying a new one, so I sent it in. They sent back the lens, replaced the motor/circuit for the AF, found some dust behind the glass and cleaned. It worked perfectly. Charge to my credit card? $0. They included a note that basically said they went ahead and fixed and cleaned the lens for no charge and hope I continue to be a loyal Nikon customer.

If a company liquidates a pool supply business and sells the contents on ebay the factory warranty would still be in effect. The liquidating company is not a retail customer, you are as the 1st retail customer and end user. I certainly would not expect Pentair to honor a second hand product. If the product is new in the box I would expect it to be covered by the warranty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like you are the "end user" - that should qualify you as the "Owner" of this cell.
Send it back, Pentair is a Great company, I am 90% sure they will replace it, fix it, whatever.
The only thing to worry about at this point is that you took it apart, and that may have
voided your warranty.
Good Luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.