Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ideal turnover rate

1. Back To Top    #1
    Gilbert AZ

Ideal turnover rate

I did some searching but I could not find the answer. What is the ideal or recommended turnover rate for an inground pool? Once, twice ... every 24 hours?
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ideal turnover rate

Commercial spec, here, is 6 hour turnover to determine flow rate. That is what I have always designed to (even residential pools). Pipe diameters also come in play, but if you have existing plumbing it is what it is!

3. Back To Top    #3

Central Massachusetts

I turn mine over ~ 2 times a day. My plumbing and pump turn it over once in about 6 hours.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

For residential pools there isn't any "official" spec on the number of turnovers your system should be capable of. In practice 3 turns in 24 hours is a common design goal, though anything from 2 to 6 turns in 24 hours is common enough. In practice, the fewer turnovers your system is capable of the more energy efficient the pump will be. I tend to aim for closer to 2 turnovers rather than 3 or more. Of course, the actual number depends on so many details that it is often safer to go a little high rather than risking being under 2 turns a day.

Normally you only run the pump for about one turnover a day, which means running it for 4 to 12 hours instead of running it for the full 24 hours each day.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School