help-want to switch from Bromine Pool to Chlorine

Apr 4, 2010
I've been using Bromine for the past 3 years 18 foot above ground pool, and would like to use chlorine because cost of bromine is ridiculous any help would be great, I've heard its not easily done

Re: help

Welcome to TFP!

To switch to chlorine you need to get rid of the bromine. It takes many months at best, sometimes years, for bromine to break down, so the only way to convert to chlorine is to do a total water replacement. It is usually all right to drain an above ground pool, though you do need to be careful that nothing shifts or falls down while the pool is empty.

Jason-Will R/O remove Bromine? I have no experience with Bromine, and don't know that I have ever heard of anyone using it around here, but I gotta think it will come up one day!

Yes, RO will remove bromine. The main problem with that approach is that you need to get at least 99% of the bromine out, preferably more. RO is not going to be the best choice when you are going for really high removal percentages, especially with an above ground pool where draining the pool is a possibility.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

JasonLion said:
Yes, RO will remove bromine. The main problem with that approach is that you need to get at least 99% of the bromine out, preferably more. RO is not going to be the best choice when you are going for really high removal percentages, especially with an above ground pool where draining the pool is a possibility.
The bromine itself isn't so much of a problem since there isn't very much so RO removing even 90% would be pretty good. The bigger problem is how much bromide there is in the pool (which is probably what you meant), which could be substantial, so that's where even 99% might not be enough -- if the bromide level were 300 ppm, for example, 99% would still leave 3 ppm bromide which would convert to 3 ppm bromine whenever chlorine was added. Even water replacement will have a tough time with removal unless the replacement is fairly complete (i.e. dilution has the same problem as RO). As Ben used to say, Once a Bromine Pool...Always a Bromine Pool!.

Thanks Richard. I have also heard that bromine requires a higher water temp (80+ degrees?) to really be effective; is that correct? Sounds like it might be more popular for hot tub use, and another reason why I have not seen it in use before.

I would say that the chlorine outgasses faster at higher temps, such as in a spa. I don't think it breaks down -- it's way too diluted and chlorine breakdown requires both temperature and high concentration (or, of course, UV from sunlight, or something to oxidize).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.