Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borax Has a NEW Look!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Borax Has a NEW Look!!!

Just a heads up...

I was out yesterday getting my BBB for the pool. I was looking for Borax 20 Mule Team in the green and yellow box and could not find it! That's because it's now packaged in a white box and the store had it all the way on the bottom shelf beside the OXYClean.

I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Borax Has a NEW Look!!!

Good to know. Thanks Casey.

We have not been able to open our pool up here yet in ND. Still have about a 6 inch layer of ice on the water plus the lows at night are still a bit below freezing.

Maybe in a couple weeks. We usually open mid April or so. As soon as the ice is off the water, I then start the opening process.

HAPPY EASTER everyone!
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/reindeerboy/

3. Back To Top    #3

That box has not changed in a long time, nice to see the change. I topped off our Borax this weekend bringing it back to 50ppm and noticed the same thing.
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the heads up. This saved me several minutes and a bunch of aggravation just today.
    16K IG vinyl liner - 2.5 HP Hayward Pump - Hayward Sand Filter - CircuPool Si 30 SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Good to know! I probably would've been cussing some poor soul at Walmart because I couldn't find it!
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

6. Back To Top    #6

Lol... I never would have found that if I was looking for it! I'm in my first session of pool maintenance and just getting ours up and running for the season.... haven't started with Borax yet, but have been considering it. Glad to know about the package change as I've been price shopping & know I would have missed it somewhere.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

7. Back To Top    #7

I stood in the laundry isle for 15 minutes wondering why they were sold out and then found it all the way on the bottom shelf.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you Casey!

Thank you so very much for posting that photo!

Borax is hard enough to find in my area--many stores carry it, but more often than not they are out of stock. Also my stores had it in two different shapes of boxes--short and squat and tall like a cereal box.

I wish they hadn't changed it to something so plain and colorless, but that is the style now.

Lana
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

9. Back To Top    #9

Tonight I was wandering up and down a couple of aisles at Walmart thinking "did they quit carrying 20 Mule Team Borax?" I, too, was looking for a green box. Turns out that the boxes, like the picture, are now white and hidden WAY down on the bottom shelf.
    18' X 36' X 4.5' vinyl oval in-ground 17K gallons, 250K BTU Pentair Master Temp NG heater, 1HP Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S200 sand filter, Hayward Pool Vac, Extreme mesh safety cover, TF-100 test kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

I was in my Walmart a couple of weeks ago in the laundry isle. The Borax in old box used to be on top shelf and now it is located on bottom shelf, opposite shelf, but they were out. It's a pretty short shelf so probably the new box. First time I've seen Borax "out" there. I've been using it for years for household cleaning.

Store brand chlorine is usually out or nearly out in big bottles. That's pretty common in past few months.

I've noticed more and more people leaving Costco with multiple 3-pac boxes of Chlorox.

Maybe more and more people are leaning towards BBB method.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

11. Back To Top    #11

Just discovered that Target has 20 Mule Team Borax on sale for $2.99 a box.
    Walmart is $2.98 a box.
    18' X 36' X 4.5' vinyl oval in-ground 17K gallons, 250K BTU Pentair Master Temp NG heater, 1HP Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S200 sand filter, Hayward Pool Vac, Extreme mesh safety cover, TF-100 test kit.