Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: storing liquid bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

storing liquid bleach

I am gathering my BBB supplies to open my pool in a couple weeks. I just read an MSD sheet on 7-15% liquid bleach and this is what it says on storage.

STORAGE CONDITIONS:
    Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area. Avoid high temperatures and exposure to and dmct sunlight.
    DO NOT STORE AT TEMPERATURES ABOVE: 15-21 Deg. C (60-70 Deg. F)
    OTHER Store in the dark at the lowest possible temperature, but keep from freezing.

http://www.corcraft.org/wcsstore/Advanc ... ach125.pdf

Does everyone store their bleach in the house where it is nice and cool? How much do you normally keep on hand? I have no idea how much I will need on a weekly basis but am concerned about keeping very much bleach indoors. I know this MSD is for higher concentrate than the 6% you get in your local stores, do outdoor summer temps affect bleach if it is stored outside? I have not found a source for liquid bleach higher than 6% but thought it might be less bulky to handle.
    Dave in Sikeston, Mo.
    27' AG, 16K, vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, Pentair Meteor sand filter, Hayward Aqua Rite 25K SWG, Pentair E-Z Vac cleaner, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: storing liquid bleach

6% bleach is fine to store either inside or outside, though not in direct sunlight. It decomposes fairly slowly. Chlorinating liquid at higher concentrations of 10-15% will decompose about 4 times faster. See the chart at the bottom of this link where you can see the half-life of high-quality chlorinating liquid at various concentrations and storage temperatures.

I store my chlorinating liquid in a box outside or in the pool shed that is well-ventilated. Our daytime temps rarely get above 90F (average daytime temp is around 81F in July) and our average day/night temps don't get much above 70F. I've never found the chlorinating liquid to drop noticeably over a month which is about how long I have it as I get roughly 4 gallons per month.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Dave,

We store bleach in the garage. It is hot in the summer, but not in direct sunlight. Fans blow all day in there.
    Normally we store between 4 & 8 jugs (96oz.).

Now the Muriatic Acid, we keep (away from the bleach) outside under the deck behind a brick pillar out of the sunlight, but again, hot.

Haven't noticed any drop in strength in either chemical.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I never have more than 3 big jugs at a time since I get the 3 pack at Costco. They reside on the back porch in one of those big Rubbermaid storage bench things. It's outside year round. Never any problem.

Loss of strength is probably more noticeable with the higher concentration stuff like the 12% and 15% jugs. But with the 6%, I haven't noticed any changes.

5. Back To Top    #5

I would guess you will go thru 2 large jugs in a week, but there are alot of variables, if you have a higher swimmer load, if you keep your pool covered or not. those may make your demand go up or down. I use about 1 1/2 per week. I never keep more than 2-3 around, I just pick up a jug or two on my weekly trip to the grocery store. Sometimes I pick up a case of the strong stuff from the pool store and I keep it in it's box in the cool laundry room or garage, which ever is cooler at the time (both are pretty dark.) That will last me for a month.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

The higher the strength and salt content the quicker it decomposes. 6% is pretty stable but even raising the strength to 12% decreases the time it takes. Keeping it cool and out of the sun helps a lot in slowing the decomp.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

The store where I buy the chlorinating liquid keeps it stacked on pallets out in the yard in bright sun. They get one large shipment at the beginning of the season. Probably the first two carboys I buy in April/May are still near 12% but after that the concentration degrades. So, it doesn't really matter where I store it once I bring it home: it's already sat in sun and heat for several weeks to months.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    The store where I buy the chlorinating liquid keeps it stacked on pallets out in the yard in bright sun. They get one large shipment at the beginning of the season. Probably the first two carboys I buy in April/May are still near 12% but after that the concentration degrades. So, it doesn't really matter where I store it once I bring it home: it's already sat in sun and heat for several weeks to months.
    I think I'd be finding a new store to buy my chorine. At 80ºF sitting in the sun, the available chlorine level in a jug of liquid chlorine will drop from 12 percent to 9 percent in one day. You'd be better off buying 6% from Wally-World after just a little while.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks to everyone for all the help! For now I will stay with the 6% in a storage box on the shaded back porch and keep my muratic acid in a different shaded location.
    Dave in Sikeston, Mo.
    27' AG, 16K, vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, Pentair Meteor sand filter, Hayward Aqua Rite 25K SWG, Pentair E-Z Vac cleaner, TF100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

I don't have personal experience to report about chlorine 6% as I keep it in the dark, not too hot garage in summer and also purchase the three packs at Costco, 2 per visit. We normally don't have very much freezing in winter so I store it in an unheated shed. I've never had any 6% chlorine freeze, even when the dog water buckets are solidly frozen. I will report though, that I've had white vinegar, in white opaque plastic bottles, kept in hot, sunny greenhouse turn to "water" over time; that is drinkable with no hint of vinegar.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

11. Back To Top    #11

I have 16 large jugs in my garage right now, because I know I'll need to shock the pool at opening. I estimate (based on the little sliver of pool water I saw when the cover fell in over the winter) that it will take at least this much bleach and probably more if the green is all over the pool.

I'll let you know if the bleach has lost its potency at all.
    45,180 gallon 26' x 53' IG Vinyl, irregular shape. Hayward sand filter / pump. Polaris AutoClear SWG, supplemented with a Hayward Automatic Chlorinator (In-Line). Hayward 400K BTU heater. Paramount "turnover" system. Polaris 480 PRO cleaner.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I think I'd be finding a new store to buy my chorine. At 80ºF sitting in the sun, the available chlorine level in a jug of liquid chlorine will drop from 12 percent to 9 percent in one day. You'd be better off buying 6% from Wally-World after just a little while.

Since this is the only store in this area which sells chlorinating liquid find a new store is not in the cards. And I do buy Clorox from Sam's Club by mid-season, depends on what they sell it for as opposed to what I pay the pool store for something that's still a little stronger than Clorox.

If I understand the chart referred to by Richard correctly, the half-life of 10% at 90F is 115 days. It gets to about that temperature by the end of July here. In all honesty, given the many storage variables of bottled Clorox from manufacturer through transporter, warehouser and reseller I think we're doing pretty good with out pool store LC.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.