Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much sand do I need?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much sand do I need?

Hi All,

We bought a house that came with an 27' AG pool. It has a Pentair Meteor sand filter but I am not certain which size it is or how much sand it needs. The label on the filter shows that it is either 18", 20", or 22" but the label indicating the size was not punched out.

I do know that the 18" takes 65# of #20 silica, the 20" takes 100#, and the 22" takes 150# of sand. After adding 100#, the sand fills the sphere exactly half full. Should the level be higher than this or am I good?

I have been reading on TFP for a while now and bought the TF100 test kit and can't wait to open the pool and start putting the BBB method to work. Thanks for such a great site!!
    Dave in Sikeston, Mo.
    27' AG, 16K, vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, Pentair Meteor sand filter, Hayward Aqua Rite 25K SWG, Pentair E-Z Vac cleaner, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much sand do I need?

You can measure the tank diameter to determine which one you have. Also the 18" has a tank height of 27", the 20" is 29" tall and the 22" is 32" tall. Hope this helps.
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by TripleB4me
    You can measure the tank diameter to determine which one you have. Also the 18" has a tank height of 27", the 20" is 29" tall and the 22" is 32" tall. Hope this helps.

The height from the base to the top of the tank itself is 25", from the base to the top of the valve handle is ~33". Which measurement are you referring to? I am pretty sure it is either a 20" or 22" filter but thought the sand level might be higher than half-way with the correct amount of sand. If it should be closer to 2/3 full then it has to be a 22" and I need to add another 50# of sand?
    Dave in Sikeston, Mo.
    27' AG, 16K, vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, Pentair Meteor sand filter, Hayward Aqua Rite 25K SWG, Pentair E-Z Vac cleaner, TF100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Most sand filters want about a foot to 15" from the discharge portion of the multiport to the top of the sand.

The best way to determine which unit you have is to measure the circumference and divide by pi(approx. 3.1416). This will give you the diameter and tell you which Meteor you have.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

With all your help I figured out that I have a 22" filter and put another 50# of sand in this weekend. Thanks for the info!
    Dave in Sikeston, Mo.

6. Back To Top    #6

From your measurements I think you're right on the size.
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft