Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: asorbic acid, borates and PH adjust combo

1. Back To Top    #1

asorbic acid, borates and PH adjust combo

I am doing an ascorbic acid treatment on a friends pool and also adding borates.
    Here was my thought:
    Add ascorbic acid, add sequestering agent, add boric acid, and balance TA and PH as needed.

Does that make sense? My thought is the ascorbic acid is going to lower the PH, the boric acid being 7.5PH should bring it back up somewhat, and I can then balance it from there adding baking soda to bring the TA up and regular borax or muratic acid for further ph adjustment.

Anything wrong with my theory? Thanks!
    32' x 15', 25k gallon gunite IG pool, California Quartz plaster in Tahoe color
    Pentair equip (Intelliflow VS+AU pump, DE filter, IC40 SWG)
    Spa wall removed to make "seating" area

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: asorbic acid, borates and PH adjust combo

You don't want to do anything that might raise the PH for at least a week afer an ascorbic acid treatement. Of course, boric acid will lower the PH, so adding boric acid is fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: asorbic acid, borates and PH adjust combo

Don't forget PQ 60 as a preventative since the chlorine should be as close to zero as possible when doing the treatment.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner