Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AG Solar Heater Recommendations

1. Back To Top    #1
    Edmond, OK

AG Solar Heater Recommendations

We're looking at putting in a solar heater this year for our AG 30'ft round pool. Looking for some advice on manufacturers from you guys with all the experience. We're in Oklahoma with more than 8hrs a day of full sun. We're really wanting to extend the swim season from mid Apr-Oct.

30ft AGP
    2hp pump
    TFTestkits ,Pool Calculator, Pool School

2. Back To Top    #2

Solon, Iowa

Re: AG Solar Heater Recommendations

If you are roof or rack mounting I like the 4ft wide panels with the 2 inch headers (e.g., FAFCO, TechnoSolis, and others) that are often advertised for inground pools, rather than the 2X20ft panels which are often advertised for AGPs. A solar controller unit is well-worth the money. I'm extremely happy with the system I installed (DIY) noted in my signature.

15X30 AGP, Lomart beaded liner;
    1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump with 21 inch sand filter (Zeobrite media)
    Mineral Springs (Aquatrol) SWCG, Rigid PVC plumbing, 2 inch
    Four 4X12 Techno-Solis solar panels, rack mounted, Goldline Solar Controller

3. Back To Top    #3

depends in the install, but FAFCO Solar bear is a good price/quality type of panel...4x20 one piece...30' round is a lot of water to will likely need 4+ panels to make a significant difference
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

I have several sungrabbers and they do very well for me up in the cold country.

I agree that I'd buy more than you need so you can taper off it needed.

Check craigslist, I just got a great deal on some extra panels (I'll be running 8 total, but have less direct sun, and shorter season.)
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Denver, Colorado

I'm with Kelly. We used to have the soft rubber style of solar panels and have just upgraded to Vortex panels which appear to be the same as TechnoSolis. They are designed to be left in place over the winter and are warranted for 10 years. What a relief it will be to not have to drag out/store those beasts!
    Denver, CO