Excessive Winter Cover Water

tulit

Apr 1, 2010
Hi all. Looking for some advice on opening our inground vinyl pool.

I took a look at it today after the winter, and there is a good 16" of water ontop of the cover (solid winter cover). I pulled back the cover and measured the amount of water in the shallow end of the pool at around 24" (about where I left it at in the fall).

I can pump the winter cover off, but I'm worried doing so is going to drop the level in the pool by 16" as well leaving me with just 8" left! (which I don't feel comfortable dropping it to).

Why did this happen in the first place? A leak in the liner at around the 24" mark? Is this one best left to the pros?

Hi. The reason for the drop is that the water ontop of the cover is displacing the water in the pool. Once I pump that off, there will be nothing left to displace it and the level will drop...

Welcome to TFP :)

I had that happen to me last year. Too much water on the cover and the water in the pool was displaced, pushed up the sides and out of the pool.

Is the water on top mucky/gross? You could treat it with bleach - scoop off as much solid organic stuff as you can with a net/leaf rake and then add some bleach and stir with a brush/net - when the water is relatively clear you could unattach one end of the cover and allow the water to drain into the pool. You will likely still have some murky stuff to treat in the bulk of the pool water though but at least you can salvage this water relatively easy.

Can you add your pool equipment/specs to your signature, as well as your location? Go to User Control Panel, top left, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

If it is a solid cover you can try filling the pool with a hose while you are pumping off the top. You can try to adjust the fresh water so it fills a little slower than the water on the cover is being pumped off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.