Gas line hookup Houston area.

goyom

Mar 30, 2010
Hey all, curious if anyone knows.
I am in the far far north houston area and we have centerpoint gas, formerly entex I believe.

Any clue on cost to upgrade gas meter for 400k btu raypak heater?
I called and asked and could not get an answer. Just curious if some of you have done this in my area and what the cost is?

Plumbing from heater to gas meter is done by PB, so all it needs is a connect and upgrade I guess.

Thanks much.

Most gas companies will upgrade your meter for free. Too much demand from an undersized appliance creates problems for them, so upgrades are worth it for them. I'm in Missouri, and ours was upgraded just last summer. No charge.

gkruske said:
Most gas companies will upgrade your meter for free. Too much demand from an undersized appliance creates problems for them, so upgrades are worth it for them. I'm in Missouri, and ours was upgraded just last summer. No charge.

True, same here in New Jersey. Bigger gas meter = More gas, which is more $$ for gas company so i doubt they will charge you anything to upgrade your meter.

I am being told by my PB that the current gas meter will be starved for gas with the 400k btu heater, and that I need to call centerpoint for an upgrade. The PB will not do more than run the gas line from the heater to the meter.

According to the PB and my neighbor who had a heater connected for his pool last year, the cost will be around $350-400.

That just seems a bit high to upgrade one part and make a 6 inch connection. Anyone in the Houston area who works for centerpoint or knows the real skinny on this?

Maybe I can hire my own connection upgrade person?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.