Jacksonville, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
On another subject I found a wireless pool thermometer which everyone who owns a pool should have :mrgreen: Unless you already have one :-D . It is made by Acurite and Home Depot sells it for $29.00. All you have to supply is 5 AA batteries. I compared it to my digital probe thermometer that I use for grilling and my infrared thermometer and it is right on the money :whoot: . I am only hopeful that it will last some time but as I recall Acurite makes decent stuff. They claim that it is good for up to 100ft and it has a freeze warning alarm. This has been very useful as I have been doing some testing on my new pool solar panel install. See the attached pics and enjoy :cheers: :cheers:[attachment=2:1vxqg722]DSCN0688.JPG[/attachment:1vxqg722][attachment=1:1vxqg722]DSCN0689.JPG[/attachment:1vxqg722][attachment=0:1vxqg722]DSCN0690.JPG[/attachment:1vxqg722]

Attachments

• DSCN0688.JPG
    DSCN0688.JPG
    241.9 KB · Views: 1,352
  • DSCN0689.JPG
    DSCN0689.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 1,280
  • DSCN0690.JPG
    DSCN0690.JPG
    238.5 KB · Views: 1,273
Great price - I thought they were closer to $70. I bought a cheap $10 wireless unit from Wal-Mart and made a waterproof floating housing from PVC with a threaded endcap. It works, but does not look as nice as this unit. Thanks for the info. Off to HD this weekend to get me one.

charlesd said:
Brentr,

Can I get a model # for this please? Just checked my local HD and the were clueless. Maybe it's a regional item. :)
I cannot find the model number :( However it is in the outdoor section where the pool stuff is and the weather stations. I hope this helps :cheers: :cheers:

ddpool and charlessd, I would be happy to get them for you however I would first go to HD and look in the spot where the pool supplies and weather stations are kept. I would also go to the customer service counter and ask them if they could get it for you. I only say that because I am not sure how much shipping would cost and if the unit I sent you was defective etc it would be challenging to get replaced. Also I do not have a paypal account. :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I picked one up this weekend. I was looking in the wrong place last time - with the wireless weather stations, etc. They were located with the pool chemicals in the garden area.

I love it. I pulled it down to the bottom of the deep end because I figure this is what my kids will do - and no leaks.

This looks kind of cool, just kind of big, but maybe it's smaller than the pictures indicate. I do like the graphing feature of the temperature history, should be pretty interesting.

This brings me to a different rant though.. I've found thermometers to be very inaccurate. How are you supposed to verify they are correct?

For example, if you're at Home Depot looking at the box of thermometers in the pool section, start comparing the temperatures... I've found some will be way off, and they'll be 2 or 3 other groups that are close to each other but not all. Have you found this thermometer to be accurate? Maybe I've just been buying cheapo's and I need to spend a little more? I'd love to hear what other people buy and if they are accurate, as I am always interested in the pool and spa temps....

sbluhm said:
This looks kind of cool, just kind of big, but maybe it's smaller than the pictures indicate. I do like the graphing feature of the temperature history, should be pretty interesting.

This brings me to a different rant though.. I've found thermometers to be very inaccurate. How are you supposed to verify they are correct?
For example, if you're at Home Depot looking at the box of thermometers in the pool section, start comparing the temperatures... I've found some will be way off, and they'll be 2 or 3 other groups that are close to each other but not all. Have you found this thermometer to be accurate? Maybe I've just been buying cheapo's and I need to spend a little more? I'd love to hear what other people buy and if they are accurate, as I am always interested in the pool and spa temps....

His original post states that he checked it using a digital probe thermometer and an infrared thermometer and that the temperature was spot on.

sbluhm said:

For example, if you're at Home Depot looking at the box of thermometers in the pool section, start comparing the temperatures... I've found some will be way off, and they'll be 2 or 3 other groups that are close to each other but not all. Have you found this thermometer to be accurate? Maybe I've just been buying cheapo's and I need to spend a little more? I'd love to hear what other people buy and if they are accurate, as I am always interested in the pool and spa temps....[/quote]
I am sure that most thermometers are off by some degree of margin. I measured mine against a digital thermometer which I cook with and an infrared point and shoot thermometer and it was dead on. Will the next one I purchase be that accurate :( Maybe not however for $29 why not try it. I do not work for and associate with HD or Acurite however what do you have to loose :-D If it does not work for you, just take it back :cheers:
I just thought that I wanted to share what I thought was a great find :goodjob:

Brentr said:
sbluhm said:

For example, if you're at Home Depot looking at the box of thermometers in the pool section, start comparing the temperatures... I've found some will be way off, and they'll be 2 or 3 other groups that are close to each other but not all. Have you found this thermometer to be accurate? Maybe I've just been buying cheapo's and I need to spend a little more? I'd love to hear what other people buy and if they are accurate, as I am always interested in the pool and spa temps....[/quote]
I am sure that most thermometers are off by some degree of margin. I measured mine against a digital thermometer which I cook with and an infrared point and shoot thermometer and it was dead on. Will the next one I purchase be that accurate :( Maybe not however for $29 why not try it. I do not work for and associate with HD or Acurite however what do you have to loose :-D If it does not work for you, just take it back :cheers:
I just thought that I wanted to share what I thought was a great find :goodjob:

I just forgot to also add that the temp of the wireless thermometer is dead on with my SWG temp display, my heat pump temp display, both are digital and also seems to agree with my Auto GL solar manual temp setting :whoot: . That is 5 individual comparisons. Maybe I got lucky :cheers:

Just to add, while I was fooling with it in the house it matched both the digital thermometers I have in there, so either they're all right or they're all wrong by the same amount. I have a NIST traceable rtd & meter so I guess now I'll have to compare them. Dang Y'all making me do extra work!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.