Help on info to clean a DE filter?

Pool-creetin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 22, 2010
Michigan
I have a hayward de filter. Its never been acid washed, and I found out recently that I have been not adding enough DE to it. :(
How would I go about cleaning it? I have heard soaking it in TSP or a degreaser for a week or two or more Letting fingers soak in a big bucket of water and degreaser.)
Do I need to acid wash it after that? Hopefully I didnt ruin it by not adding enough DE.
PSI never gotten above 20.

Does this info sound correct? What degreaser would you guys and gals reccomend?
TIA

You should use either TSP (the real stuff, avoid the phosphate free version) or automatic dish washer detergent. Add one cup for each 5 gallons of water (you use less with the newer super concentrated automatic dishwasher detergent). Clean the grids normally, then soak them for 12 to 24 hours in the detergent, then rinse them off throughly. You only need to do an acid wash after that if you have some calcium scaling on the grids.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.