Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: This is a silly question -

1. Back To Top    #1

This is a silly question -

Why can't most slides be used with an aboveground pool? If it requires 4 feet of water, why does it matter whether the pool is inground or aboveground? Is it because the force of the person entering the pool on a big slide would hurt the sides of an aboveground?

Because frankly, if I was going to hit the bottom of a pool coming off a slide, I'd rather hit the soft bottom of an aboveground than the cement of an inground. Or maybe the force of someone hitting the bottom would hurt the liner on the bottom?

Just curious!!!
    21x41x54" AG Artesian Seville II
    Installed around 2004 - we moved here in 2008
    23,000 gal
    Hayward SwimPro 256T Sand Filter
    1HP 2speed Hayward Power Flo Matrix
    (and have 2HP Hayward Swimpro and a 2hp 2speed Waterway Hi-Flo pump as back up also!! lol)
    No heating - other than Solar SunRings
    Central IL

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: This is a silly question -

I don't think that is it. It probably has to do with the structure of the slide and the AGP. Most AGPs are not "decked in" like an inground pool. Some AGP owners (many of whom are on this forum) will surround their AGP with a deck. This gives the pool a flush appearance to the surface of the deck. If a slide were to be constructed on the deck next to the pool, then it would work fine. But if the AGP is like the one my mother had when we were little, this being no deck and four feet high all the way around, then a pool slide couldn't be used in that situation unless the feet of the slide could somehow sit on the floor of the pool.

I just don't see how it would work. They may make slides specifically for AGP use, but I haven't seen any.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: This is a silly question -

Ground mounted AGP slides can be found here:, as well as deck mounted. I'm sure there are other suppliers as well.
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft