Oversized pump?

I purchased my system 2 years ago. Within the first 6 months the pump stopped. Upon returning it to the store they did not have a 1.5 hp replacement so they gave me the 2 hp. After reading a few posts on here, I'm now wondering if it's too big?? The pump is a Pentair Turbo King and the filter is an Artesian. My pipes are 1.5 in. If you need more info please let me know.
Thanks!

Unless you have a cartridge filter, the maximum flow rate of the pump should equal the maximum flow rate of the filter. Horsepower ratings can be deceptive and a 1 1/2 hp full rated pump could be the same as a 2hp uprated pump.

The only real problem with an oversized pump is that it uses more electricity than a smaller pump would to do the same job. Unless you have a spa or waterfall or some other water feature, a 2 HP pump is larger than what you really need and costs more to run than a smaller pump would cost.

You can move the equipment pad further away but you should use larger pipes than you have now if you do that. The longer the pipe run, the more important it is to have appropriately sized pipes.

1st, Pentair doesn't make a pump called a Turbo King. Are you sure it isn't an Artesian?

Most 2 HP pool pumps, given a normal amount of head loss will move about 80-100 GPM. Most will be starved and will cavitate if the impeller isn't reduced or slowed down when fed using 1.5" plumbing. This will reduce you to about 55-70 GPM.

This is because the friction in the pipe won't let enough water pass given the amount of suction/pushing power available.

I have never seen a 2 HP pool pump with less than 2" ports because, unmodified, the plumbing can't accommodate the needed volume of water.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
1st, Pentair doesn't make a pump called a Turbo King. Are you sure it isn't an Artesian?
I know the sand filter is Artesian. If I remember correctly the only thing brand wise on the pump says Pentair Products. I guess that's where I got confused. It was bought and installed together as a system tho. Anyway, I'll double check tomorrow and make corrections.

Thanks!

AG pool pumps tend to be low or medium head pumps and don't move as much water as an in ground pump. Also, because the runs tend to be short, head loss is not that bad with 1 1/2" plumbing. My guess is that it is probably a uprated 2 HP and on a typical AG plumbing system would produce about 77 GPM at 40' of head.

BTW, what is the filter pressure? I get about 13 PSI.

I get around 13 PSI too and when I backwash it might drop to 11. I have never gotten close to the 20 range prior to backwashing. I've tried to let it go but I usually have to backwash because I've lost pressure in the return.

It started raining last night so I haven't been able to get the exact specs off the pump itself. When it calms down I'll try to get more info on the pump and check my psi.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mas985 said:
AG pool pumps tend to be low or medium head pumps and don't move as much water as an in ground pump. Also, because the runs tend to be short, head loss is not that bad with 1 1/2" plumbing. My guess is that it is probably a uprated 2 HP and on a typical AG plumbing system would produce about 77 GPM at 40' of head.

BTW, what is the filter pressure? I get about 13 PSI.
Please excuse the OP. I hope that I have not bent any rules. mas985 I wish I could get that low of a pressure. Before my solar install I was at 18psi now I am at 23- 24 psi when I am running solar. Without the solar running it jumped up to 20psi because of 2 more added 90 degree elbows and a one way valve. I don't suppose I am hurting anything :(

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. When I wrote "I get about 13 PSI" what I meant was that I estimate that esim13's filter pressure should be about 13 PSI. Given that it is 11 PSI means there is less head loss in the plumbing then I estimated which is a good thing.

Brent, with your pump on your plumbing, 18 PSI is reasonable and a 6 PSI rise with solar is also reasonable. Those are not outside the norm for a 1.5 HP pump.

I use to have 19 PSI of pressure with a 1 HP full rated pump and then it would jump to about 26 PSI with solar. I replaced the impeller with a 1/2 HP and swapped the motor to a 2 speed. Now I get about 11 PSI and 16 PSI with solar. The pump size can make a big difference in addition to the plumbing.

PoolGuyNJ,
It is an Artesian but it has a Pentair Pool Products sticker on it too so there's where I got confused. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Mas985,
Right now my psi is at 12.

So what I'm hearing is that if I move the pump 40' away, I need to change lines to 2 inch instead of 1.5 inch? Still a bit confused.....

Do you have the manuals that came with your pump and filter? Do you have pics?

I got my AGP used and it came with a Pentair TurboKing pump with a label that says Artesan on it.

I THINK it came as a package originally, the pump and filter. But I called Pentair and gave the CSR all the numbers I could find on both the pump and filter and she couldn't find any information on them at all and said it wasn't in her system.

My original post is at:

new-to-me-pentair-pump-how-does-it-work-help-t12254.html

Toward the bottom is pics of my pump/filter (it's a lot cleaner now :), this was right after the installer installed it... ground was real muddy, it took him almost 3 weeks to get everything up because it rained almost every day and delayed things.

I'd love to find more information on my pump and hopefully you have the same one so maybe we can help each other :)

Here are the pics of my pump and filter. I couldn't get to the side of the motor housing bc of the sand filter but I can read the numbers if you need them. I'm still trying to locate the manual. I know I have them bc I remember reading them over and over... now if I could just find them.......

IMG_2663.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg

IMG_2665.jpg

IMG_2667.jpg

After much searching it seems like my pump/motor look quite similar to the Dynamo or PacFab. I still cannot find my manuals. I've downloaded the manual for these from the Pentair website since it's as close as I can get.

Another question: If I were to change my pump/motor, can I just change the motor part? If so, what do you recommend? As stated earlier I am running a 2hp, 24/7. I like running it 24/7 but I know there has to be something better out there.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.