First test results with my new TF-100

Feb 18, 2010
Houston, TX
Got my new kit today, went out to play with it as soon as it was out of the box! Just for kicks, I compared pH, TA, and CH to the Walmart HTH kit.

TF-100
pH - 8.2
FC - 3.5
CC - .5
TC - 4
TA - 230
CH - 210
CYA - 40

HTH

pH - 8.2
TA - 240
CH - 170

The pH is so high because I'm working on lowering the TA after the refill (had to drain to install new pump, long story), and slightly went over on the CH (probably because of the HTH kit).

Over the next several days, I'm going to continue to test the CH using both kits, just to see if it confirms my suspicion about the HTH kit. I've had issues with that test since the day I got the kit, and have been wondering if the indicator and/or the reagent may be old. Most (if not all of you) know which kit I trust! :mrgreen:

Anyhow, I've already told Dave, but this kit is GREAT! Easy to follow instructions, great layout, plenty of solution for all the tests! To all those who are considering getting one of his kits, it's definitely worth the cost! It may seem a little high, but only one person can take control of your water, and that is YOU!

Cheddar,

Thank you for the very nice words about the kit. (the check is in the mail!!!)

Go ahead and get the pH down into the mid 7's sooner rather than later. Use muriatic.......your TA will come down as well but, most importantly, you don't want your ph in the 8's for any reason.

I'm puzzled about the CH contributing to high pH or CH being too high (it's not and it has no affect on pH) but I think I am misunderstanding your post.

Anyway, when you get that pH down, you should be in good shape.

How does your water look?

I think you misunderstood (just a little!) about what I was referring to. The pH was high because I had the jets on high aerating, so I can continue to get that TA down. pH rose from 7.2 to 8.2 in a little under 30 minutes. Based off of previous fills, TA of 60-70 is the tub's sweet spot.

As far as the CH, I was just pointing out the variation in the two kits. I went back and checked the amount of CH increaser I added, and your kit is dead on. It's really easy to figure out when you start out with CH of 0! The test in the HTH kit I bought a couple of months ago or so just doesn't seem to work right. I tried repeating that test with it earlier and got wildly different results, all the way from 150 to 240. Maybe you just get what you pay for, I dunno.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.