Conflicting Advice from 2 pool shops.....

cherylandco

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2009
So we have a large pool - 21x41. The return and skimmer is on one end of the pool. So the other end, there is never any water movement. So we were thinking about putting another return in on that side of the pool to keep the water moving.

I called one pool place and they said it would be at least $400-$500 to put it in. I called another to get another price, and they said that you cannot put one in, because it would compromise the integrity of the wall, and no manufacturer would ever recommend it.

Suggestions?

1) go ahead and get it done
2) Try getting a bigger pump (I think we have a 1.5HP now) ***Correction - I went and looked - its a 2HP!!***
3) just let it go

Also - do I need to change the sand in my filter? It's never been changed, and it's about 4-5 years old, I guess?

THANKS!!

Given the age of your liner I'd be a bit leary of trying to put a return in it at this point. That's probably the real reason the one place didn't want to touch it.

As an alternative, I would suggest getting a pressure side cleaner (like a Polaris 360) and running it off the existing return. That way at least you'd get some circulation in the far end whenever the cleaner was down there. This is just a suggestion and other folks may have better advice.

Bama Rambler said:
Given the age of your liner I'd be a bit leary of trying to put a return in it at this point. That's probably the real reason the one place didn't want to touch it.

As an alternative, I would suggest getting a pressure side cleaner (like a Polaris 360) and running it off the existing return. That way at least you'd get some circulation in the far end whenever the cleaner was down there. This is just a suggestion and other folks may have better advice.

Our liner is not even a year old. The old one disintegrated last winter, so we got a new one put in in June of 2009. I guess we should have done it then, but we didn't think/know about it!!! :hammer: :oops:

Bama Rambler said:

I'm a bit leary of cleaners - the sand beneath our liner is very rough - they did not smooth it out - and when I vaccuum it, the liner sometimes pulls up and "smothers" the vaccuum and I am pretty sure that if I put something in there that it would end up burning up my pool pump - if not ruining the liner. (But I could be way off!!! I am so clueless when it comes to all this!)

cherylandco said:
Our liner is not even a year old. The old one disintegrated last winter, so we got a new one put in in June of 2009.
There's another one for assuming! I read that the pool was put up in 2004 and assumed the liner was that old.

Since it's not even a year old yet I see no reason it couldn't be done. You could look around for independant installers and see if they're interested. Who installed your liner?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
cherylandco said:
Our liner is not even a year old. The old one disintegrated last winter, so we got a new one put in in June of 2009.
There's another one for assuming! I read that the pool was put up in 2004 and assumed the liner was that old.

Since it's not even a year old yet I see no reason it couldn't be done. You could look around for independant installers and see if they're interested. Who installed your liner?

See post above yours! I don't believe I want him doing anything else on our pool - he was inexpensive enough to replace the liner, but we found out there was a reason he was inexpensive! He didn't add any sand (although I thought it needed it - didn't build up the cover very well - and didn't even try to minimize footprints undre the liner - THEN they dropped a drill in and put a hole in the floor of my brand new liner!). I think I'll not have him do it, KWIM? :rant:

duraleigh said:
Cheryl,

Are you considering the new skimmer because it seems the right thing to do or is it because you are having water quality issues?

Just a return is what we were thinking - and I did struggle a bit with my water towards the end of summer. It was PERFECT until we went away for the weekend in mid-July. After that, it just kept getting mustard algae on the "other" end of the pool. I kept it from getting out of hand, but it was ALOT of work and effort!!!!!!! I don't want that to happen again this year!

Just a return is what we were thinking - and I did struggle a bit with my water towards the end of summer. It was PERFECT until we went away for the weekend in mid-July. After that, it just kept getting mustard algae on the "other" end of the pool. I kept it from getting out of hand, but it was ALOT of work and effort!!!!!!! I don't want that to happen again this year!
Sorry, Cheryl, I meant "return" but incorrectly wrote "skimmer"

The new return would be helpful, without a doubt. That said, keeping a very close eye on your pool water chemistry may "fix" the algae issue just as well and without spending the money. Do you test your FC and stabilizer level frequently during the hot part of summer?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.