Sucessfully removed iron from water?

falken

Mar 29, 2010
I had bad iron stains in my vinyl liner pool last year.
Pool store tested and said there was a "good amount" of iron in the water. I really wish I would have gotten the actual amount from them, but its too late for that...

I did the ascorbic acid treatment per the instructions here. I then used Jacks "magenta stuff" sequestering agent for the rest of the year and always had Fiber Clear (DE alternative stuff) in the sand filter for the rest of the season.

The pool store now claims there is 0 iron in the water, I took it to the only other store in the area that will test for iron and they also said there is no iron in the water. Unfortionatly I have nothing myself that will test for metals.

Is it really possible the iron got filtered out? I didn't think it could.
I haven't done any significant water changes, just the normal backwashing and rain water additions.

Yes, it is possible for iron to be filtered out. It isn't exactly common, but now and then iron will precipitate out and form clumps large enough to be filtered out. Unfortunately, there isn't any reliable way to get that to happen when you want it to happen.

We have had success filtering out iron after it oxidized (turned to rust) using DE. We just did an ascorbic acid treatment to a pool and were planning on draining it to remove the sequestered iron so the customer wasn't on the precarious edge of keeping it in solution. A simpler solution would be welcome.

JasonLion said:
Yes, it is possible for iron to be filtered out. It isn't exactly common, but now and then iron will precipitate out and form clumps large enough to be filtered out. Unfortunately, there isn't any reliable way to get that to happen when you want it to happen.

I can attest to this. You can help it along if you bring the FC up to around 20 ppm and run the filter 24/7 for a day or so. I've done it a couple times. My fill water in july and august has ~2ppm iron in it since my town turns on an extra well that has a lot of iron in the water. I bought a filter that is supposed to work by oxidizing theiron, then filtering it out. I bought a Taylor iron kit to do some before and after testing of the pool and fill water along durin the summer. The water company is goin gto give me a heads up when they turn on the offendig well so i can keep track of it. When i start, I'll begin a running thread to give folks updates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.