options for new pump

Feb 13, 2010
Redlands, CA
disclaimer: I am tying from my cell phone so please excuse the inevitable typo

I currently have an 18000 gallon pool with attached spa, pentairDE filter 4000 series, single speed WFE 8 I believe 2 hp which I think is way overkill for my pool. The one water feature I do have rns off a separate 3/4 hp pentair whisperflo pump.

I am interested in cutting my electricity bill and was considering a couple of options

1. Buy new variable speed pump like pentair 4x160 for around 900 bucks less 200 dollar CA 200 rebate. How easy would it be to do the switch out my self? Also I have aqualogic ps4 controller with SWCG and as I understand from the manual it only has capability to control a 2 speed pump and not the 4 of the intelliflo. Are there any ways around this?

2. Buy 2 speed pump instead. What recommendations do you have in this regard in terms of options?

3.buy replacement 2 speed pump motor and put in existing pump housing. Is this a straightfoward thing to do? And if so what pump motor would you recommend?

thanks for all the help. You guys helped me turn my pond into a pool last month

richard

Your third option is by far the simplest and the least expensive. A two speed motor on low speed will save you a great deal on electricity.

If your electric rates are really high it is worth going for the IntelliFlo 4x160. This will be the most complex and most expensive option. There are two ways to get the AquaLogic to be able to control the pump speed. You can either purchase a Pentair IntelliComm unit, which allows the pump speed to be controlled by relays in the AquaLogic (you will need a free relay for each additional speed you want to use, unless you can pair up with some existing feature (ie that feature always results in that speed). The other approach is to update/upgrade to the most recent version of the AquaLogic, which claims IntelliFlo control through a communications port. The cost for that varies depending on how old your AquaLogic unit is. Recent units may already have this supported, while an older unit will need at least the main board replaced (which gets expensive).

Last time I checked, an Aqualogic upgrade was around $500, not cheap.

As for the motor change, if you do have a WFE8, then you could go with AO smith B2984.

Thanks for the replies.

I was looking at the B2984 motor you mentioned after reading that I need the same SF x HP rating in order to function appropriately and that is the only comparable two speed unit.

I read somewhere I forget where that the impeller in the unit is matched to the SF X HP rating of motor so if you changed impeller also you could potentially use another motor say the B2983 or B2982 two speed motors 1.5 HP or 1 HP respectively with different SF x HP rating.

Given my setup and what I have read I think my current 2HP pump is over kill. you tell me.

18000 gallon
Equipment probably 35-40 feet from pool
2.5inch suction side plumbing
2 inch return plumbing
1 skimmer
2 deep end drains
1 vacuum line
Built in spa with 6 jets
One water feature with separate dedicated 3/4hp whisperflo pump
SMBW pentair 4060 DE filter freshly cleaned with new DE runs 18-20 PSI of the bat I assume from the great deal of flow my 2hp pump is providing

The greatest demand in output is clearly the spa jets. what do you think is the lowest I can safely get away with in terms of power, 1.5hp, 1hp or even 3/4 hp dual speed given my setup and still be able to run spa jets effectively.

The intelliflo options sound pretty expensive especially if i want to control them with my aqualogic controller and the two speed pump option is sounding a little more economical at this point.

Sincerely

payinouttheyinyangforelectricity

Dropping the HP with a spa will reduce the pressure of the jets so they won't feel as strong so if you like the feeling of the jets now, then I would stick with the 2 HP but go with a 2 speed motor. One thing to keep in mind is that a 2 HP on low speed will still have quite a bit of flow rate. My guess is that you will have over 100 GPM on high speed and over 50 GPM on low speed so you could just use low speed for the pool and high speed for the spa.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.