Jacksonville, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Well I finally bit the bullet and had a solar system installed with some tax refund money :-D . Thanks to valuable info found here at TFP and advice from chemgeek, polyvue , no-mas , lborne, lee23903and mas985 and others as this is a valuable forum so I hope that my small contribution would be helpful to others. I decided to not peruse as a DIY as I know my limitations and I am not very good at plumbing :( , nor do I have very extensive electrical knowledge :( , and the thought of putting holes in my roof :grrrr: , to besides knowing my luck I would fall off the roof and break/ injure myself and would be out of work for several weeks,(Who would pay the bills then :hammer: ), just did not make too much sense to me :whoot: . That is why we have professional solar installers and I hope that my small contribution will keep some people in business and food on the table for their families during these very challenging times :party: .

We had quotes from Fafco, Aquatherm, and Helicol and we chose to go with Aquatherm because we liked him, (somehow we just clicked) , he came out on a weekend, and he was the only Dealer/ Installer that would provide a written transferable lifetime warranty on top of the 20yr warranty for the panels and hardware and a transferable lifetime warranty against roof leaks/ repairs from the solar installation.

Please note that I was amazed at the level of professionalism displayed from his installers and the attention to detail. I will try to be as accurate as possible with the materials used and post before, during and after pics. I hope this is helpful to others and enjoy. I welcome all comments :cheers: :cheers: .

Solar Description :
- 3- 4 x 12 ft Aquatherm panels ( 144 sq ft)
- 2 – 2 x 12 ft panels ( 48 sq ft)
- Total of 192 sq ft
- 20 yr warranty with 12 yr full replacement/ repair on panels and hardware
- Installer to cover transferrable lifetime warranty on panels and transferrable lifetime warranty on roof leaks
- Gl-235 Goldline controller, 3 yr warranty
- 2 – Jandy valves
- 1- One way valve
- Marine exhaust hose to connect panels
- Approx 180 ft of black 2 inch PVC
- Approx 20 ft of white 2 inch PVC
- Approx 24 -90deg black elbows, 10- 90 deg elbows
- 8 aluminum clamps holding headers, these are usually screwed into the rafters however my rafters were horizontal so they had to get into the attic and place backing 2 x 4 blocks for the bolts to screw into.
- approx 34 SS clamps for pipes,
- Coated SS flat strapping to hold panels
- Ability to withstand 150mph winds
- System wired to automatically turn on and off when it senses ability to heat, it must sense a 4 degree difference between air temp and pool water temp. Air temp sensor is mounted on the top header.
- Running psi went from 18 to 21/22 on the sand filter
- Pool temp increase from 61 to 69 running the solar for 3 hrs ( 4pm to 7pm) after install, outside temp high was 72deg, Sun not directly shining on panels.
- Roof orientation is 140 deg facing East South East, not the most optimum placement however this is the best place per the installer. Panels cannot be seen from the street, a good thing for aesthetics.

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

SIOCicW.jpg

f7pG3xp.jpg

2dE35aM.jpg

LFa8Drv.jpg

P64gN1Z.jpg

am4Im1R.jpg

NBO0THf.jpg

gAtSmuD.jpg

EVQGSPf.jpg

Hey, Brent. I can't see the pictures at my work, so will check them out from home later on tonite. Eight degree temp rise in 3 hrs is awesome - it's been unusually cold here as you well know. I'm interested in what you wind up seeing as far as your electrical consumption goes, so pay attention - I'll be asking you about it in a few months :whip: :goodjob:

My new two speed motor arrives today - so hopefully I can get it installed this weekend. I also started heating the pool this morning since it looks like we'll finally be in the 80s for the remainder of the week and weekend.

When will you be in the pool? I expect ours to be warm enough tomorrow evening...

no-mas said:
Hey, Brent. I can't see the pictures at my work, so will check them out from home later on tonite. Eight degree temp rise in 3 hrs is awesome - it's been unusually cold here as you well know. I'm interested in what you wind up seeing as far as your electrical consumption goes, so pay attention - I'll be asking you about it in a few months :whip: :goodjob:

My new two speed motor arrives today - so hopefully I can get it installed this weekend. I also started heating the pool this morning since it looks like we'll finally be in the 80s for the remainder of the week and weekend.

When will you be in the pool? I expect ours to be warm enough tomorrow evening...

No- mas, I am conducting some experiments this week. I will be paying attention to the run times and hopefully be able to convert to cost running the pump. The next few days I am looking at temp increases as we are going to have lots of sun. This morning the temp was 62 deg before the solar came on. I lost 7 degrees over the night as we had a low of 50deg according to my weather station. I am confident that if I used the solar blanket we would have lost less. Hopefully we will be swimming this Easter Sunday :cheers: :cheers:

I am also curious about your 2 speed pump and cost to run it :cheers:

I was just trimming a new pool cover last night to fit the pool - I'll finish that up this evening. The cover really helps - you should look into it. I've said it a hundred times; nobody hate that stupid pool cover more than I do; BUT it works so well, I can't ignore it. It takes me like 5 minutes to put it on and maybe 2-3 to remove it, so I really have no room to complain.

I'll be paying attention to my electrical consumption - will let you know what I find in the coming months.

I some detailed info saved but just a quick note. Yesterday the pool went from 62 deg to 76 deg. Solar was on for 10hrs. Approx cost to run pump yesterday was $2.71

Brentr - I see you are gaining a lot of heat during the day but losing it at night. Have you considered a pool cover?

I borrowed one from my neighbor and am giving it a try this week to see if I can retain some of the heat overnight as predicted lows for the next 10 days are still in the 50s.

Here some temps and times with solar system running Wednesday
Pool temp 62 at 8:50am
Pool temp 64 at 10:10am
Pool temp 65 at 11:00am
Pool temp 68 at 12 noon
Pool temp 69 at 12:45pm
Pool temp 71 at 1:55 pm
Pool temp 73 at 2:55 pm
Pool temp 75 at 4:45pm
Pool temp 76 at 5:45pm I put solar cover on.
Pool Temp 76 at 6:45pm solar shut down.

Pump, Solar controller and SWG draws running amps of 10.3 amps. Estimated cost running the pump today for 10 hrs is $2.71

I will leave the solar cover on tonight and all day tomorrow and check temps in morning and evening
pool temp 73 at 6am
pool temp 77 at 1:30pm
pool temp 81 at 4pm
It will probably be 83 by the time the solar shuts off. The wife and may even jump in but we are spoilt and prefer it to be about 88 degrees :-D

brentr, Any chance you got an explanation of the bends where it transitions from white pipe to black?

Looks like a great installation and the water temps certainly seem encouraging.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
lbridges said:
brentr, Any chance you got an explanation of the bends where it transitions from white pipe to black?

Looks like a great installation and the water temps certainly seem encouraging.
Funny you should mention that because I asked him the same question. He told me that he does that because it looks better and that he can line up the PVC more accurately. He also said that 2 more 90 deg angles would not make that more of a difference. What can I say, I am not an expert but so far I am pleased with the performance :cheers: :cheers:

Brentr said:
...He told me that he does that because it looks better and that he can line up the PVC more accurately....

Yeah I can see that now - how else to match the roof angle - thanks.

Okay here are some numbers after the solar system was installed. The first number is the pool temp, the second number is the temp of water coming from the panels and going to the pool and the third number is the time of day. This afternoon the temp was 91 deg. I had the temp set at 93 deg as I wanted to see what it was capable of. I am going to set the temp at 90deg as no need to run pump and burn up electricity :mrgreen:

Based on these numbers I see no reason for the system to have the capability to heat the pool to at least 82 deg in January and February provided that there is a fair amount of sunshine and that a solar cover is regularly used during cold days and nights. That means that I could be swimming all year round :cheers: :cheers:

I also noted a fair loss of temp the first day without the use of a solar cover, however with the use of the cover I am only losing 3 deg per night. I suppose that is how the cover performs as I have nothing to compare this to. I suspect if the nights were colder I would lose more heat :(

Pool Temps after Solar System install
03-30-10, Day High was 80deg Low was 51deg Installed solar system, system on from 4:30 to 7pm,
Pool Temp Temp from Solar Panels Time
61, did not monitor, 4:30pm
66, did not monitor, 7pm
No solar cover on pool, 5 deg temp change

03-31-10, Day High was 81deg Low was 51deg
62, 64, 8:50am pump on
64, 67, 10:10am
65, 68, 11:00am
66, 68, 11:00am
68, 71, 12noon
69, 72, 12:45pm
71, 74, 1:55pm
73, 75, 2:55pm
75, 76, 4:45pm put on solar blanket
75, 76, 6:45pm pump off
15 deg temp change

04-01-10 , Day High was 82deg Low was 52deg
73, not checked, 9:00am pump on
77, 79, 1:30pm take off solar cover
81, 82, 4:00pm put on solar cover
81, 82, 6pm pump off
9 deg temp change

04-02-10, Day High was 82deg Low was 53deg
77, not checked, 9:00 pump on
80, 81, 11:50am
82, 82, 1pm
83, 84, 1:45pm
84, 85, 3pm
85, 86, 6pm pump off
Solar cover on all day and night, 9 deg temp change

04-03-10, Day High was 82deg Low was 57deg, clouds all day, no direct sunshine
81, not checked, 9:30am pump on
82, not checked, 11.00am
83, 84, 12noon
84, 85, 2pm
86, not checked, 6pm pump off
Solar cover on all day and night, 5 deg temp change

04-04-10, Day High was 83deg Low was 57deg, sunshine all day
82, not checked, 9:30am pump on
83, 84, 11am
84, 85, 12noon
85, 86, 1pm
86, 87, 1:30pm
87, 88, 2:30pm
88, 89, 3:30pm
88, not checked, 6pm pump off
Solar cover off all day and water features on from @2pm till 7pm, solar cover on for the night, 6deg temp change

04-05-10 , Day High was 83deg Low was 59deg, at work :( :(
85, not checked, estimated 9:30ampump on
91, not checked, 6pm pump off
Set solar system temp for 90 deg, solar pool cover is on all day. 6 deg temp change

It looks like on all days except 3/31 you were getting about a 1 degree temp rise from the panels. On 3/31, you were getting more. Despite what you might think, a 1 degree temp rise is more efficient than a greater temp rise.

Not to rain on your parade, but I still think you might find it difficult to keep 82 over January and February. Especially with a cold winter like we had this year. I'm sure you will let us know next year.

lborne said:
It looks like on all days except 3/31 you were getting about a 1 degree temp rise from the panels. On 3/31, you were getting more. Despite what you might think, a 1 degree temp rise is more efficient than a greater temp rise.

Not to rain on your parade, but I still think you might find it difficult to keep 82 over January and February. Especially with a cold winter like we had this year. I'm sure you will let us know next year.
lborne, you are probably correct. What kind of temps were you getting in January and Feburary?

Brentr said:
lborne said:

lborne, you are probably correct. What kind of temps were you getting in January and Feburary?

Here in Central FL my average temp for Jan- Feb which included the extended cold snap we had (and it was cold) was around 69-72 degrees with solar cover on. Right now with the pool solar cover off for the season temp in the morning 82 and by 3pm up to 87 degrees, pool pump runs 11:30am to 6:30pm. HTH

Food for thought the sun in the winter hits the front of our home and our panels are on the west side, so panels only really get indirect sun from noon on. Right now the sun is directly over the house and get full sun from noon on.

Brentr said:

I ended up not running it then to try and heat the pool because my panels are on the west roof and the sun was just too low. I'd be able to maybe raise it 2 degrees, but then it would lose it by 10 pm since I do not have a cover. The overnight temps were just so low this winter that it was a losing battle.

I used my solar then to raise the temp of the spa only - starting on Friday and through the weekend. I could get the spa (which I have a cover for) to around 90, but it is only 500 - 600 gallons.

Right now I have a borrowed cover and have had the solar heating the pool yesterday and today and it is up to 80 from 70. Over the weekend I could get the spa up to 110 by the end of a day, but then by the next morning it was around 92 with a cover.

Food for thought the sun in the winter hits the front of our home and our panels are on the west side, so panels only really get indirect sun from noon on. Right now the sun is directly over the house and get full sun from noon on.
lborne how do you quote just parts of a reply, I noticed that you did that in your last reply, so I attempted the above however I did not get your name in the quote :( . Any way just to add, the solar installers refused to put panels on the other sides of the house. While I do not have a perfect location ( fully facing south) this direction was within acceptable direction. The direction should face some to the south as they would not guarantee performance :cheers:

Brentr said:
lborne said:
lborne how do you quote just parts of a reply, I noticed that you did that in your last reply, so I attempted the above however I did not get your name in the quote :( .

I'm not lborne, but it's pretty easy. When you use the quote feature, it puts the text between two tags, one that has (quote="username") between two brackets, and then the end tag that has (/quote) between two brackets ( I used parenthesis instead of the brackets). Just delete the part of the post you don't want shown, but make sure you leave the username in the first tag, and don't delete the second tag. To quote lborne, the first tag would be (quote="lborne").

no-mas said:
I've said it a hundred times; nobody hate that stupid pool cover more than I do; BUT it works so well, I can't ignore it. It takes me like 5 minutes to put it on and maybe 2-3 to remove it, so I really have no room to complain.

no-mas
What is your trick to covering and removing your solar cover so quickly? I can place it on the pool easy enough but it is a pain in the neck to dry, fold up, and store each day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.