Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need a new pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I need a new pump?

Hi Everyone

Our pump seems really loud to us - husband unit is ready to blow a gasket himself!

It is a Whispaflo 1 hp. We have solar panels on the roof of a single story house and a spa with 4 jets

There's also definitely a leak at the pump. And when we turn the solar panels on ALOT of air seems to be pumped into the pool. This doesn't happen when we run the pump normally bypassing the solar panels.

So do we need a new pump or just a really smart pool guy/gal to fix it?

And do we need to get the solar stuff checked out as well? Is this normal?

Cheers,
    Fiona
    11,000 gallon chlorine pool:: 48 sq ft DE filter :: IG plaster :: 1 hp Whispaflo pump :: Gas heater and Solar Panel heating

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I need a new pump?

If you post a pic of the leak, we should be able to help. The bearings went if it's a squeal. If the leak appears under the pump, I'll bet it was doing it for some time. The water got to the motor and the bearings don't like that. A new motor and seal set should solve the problem if the issue is as stated above.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by fscott
    There's also definitely a leak at the pump. And when we turn the solar panels on ALOT of air seems to be pumped into the pool. This doesn't happen when we run the pump normally bypassing the solar panels.
    That is normal for solar panels. When the pump is off, water will drain from the solar panels and be replaced by air via the vacuum release valve. This is done so that water does not remain in the panels when the pump is off. When the solar panels are turned on with the pump, air in the panels is purged out through the returns during the panel priming process.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Mark.

Scott: If a new motor and seal is the answer than does that mean I don't have to replace the whole pump? And who/where to I go to get this fixed?

Thanks,
    Fiona
    11,000 gallon chlorine pool:: 48 sq ft DE filter :: IG plaster :: 1 hp Whispaflo pump :: Gas heater and Solar Panel heating