Just replastered the pool, need a startup procedure...

Jul 17, 2009
Hello All,

I just finished a renovation where i changed the tile, replastered, and replaced all the plumbing (copper pipes).

It is now the 4th day, and per instruction, i will need to add CYA (cyanuric acid) today probably to about 70ppm.

Yesterday i noticed some small , hair like, vertical cracks that go from the tile down 6-8 inches. The replaster company said that these hair line crack are a result of calcium that is coming out of the plaster while it cures and that there needs to be acid /acid washed. And that is a normal under any startup procedure.

So, is that correct? should i just maintain higher acid level which means lower PH for the time being?

I'm brushing the pool twice a day with a nylon brash. I also balance the water daily. Yesterday had to add a gallon of muriatic acid as my PH was about 8.2. Also added 1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine as my chlorine was almost 0.

I have a salt system, so i know i need to wait a month before adding salt and starting it, what is the best method to add chlorine in the meantime?

The pool is about 34,000 gallons, 42x20 feet. Pentair DE filter 60 sf, 1.5HP pump, 2" plumbing, 4 returns, 2 drains to 1 skimmer, 1.5" vacuum port.

Yesterday's readings:
Chlorine 0-0.5
PH 8.2
Alkalinity 95
CYA about 10
I'll probably need to take a sample to Leslie's for full test.

The national plaster council has a recommended start up proceedure. They really have it down. Follow their instructions and you'll be set.

National Plasterers Council http://www.npconline.org/

Edited to remove large quote from a third party web site, which is not allowed. Also removed a commercial referral, which is also not allowed. JasonLion

Luke

Try to keep the PH under tighter control. You never want the PH to go above 8.0 if you can help it.

Liquid chlorine is a great source of chlorine for the first 30 days. You can also use trichlor, which will also add CYA and help keep the PH from going up as quickly.

You shouldn't add that much CYA all at once to fresh plaster. Start adding some CYA right away, but ramp it up slowly over the first 30 days. I would aim for a CYA level of 30 to start with.

Cracks and acid washing don't really go together in my mind. I wonder what they are thinking. Some tiny cracks will happen no matter what you do, and are not normally important. But they shouldn't be very large or very visible.

Thanks Luke, and JasonLion!,
I got a copy of the startup instructions and I'm following them.
Yesterday I checked and got:
Chlorine 0.5
PH 8.0
TA 90
I followed the calculator and added about a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine,added two floaters with 2 3" tricholor tablets each and 3.5 quarts of muriatic acid. I also started added CYA (10 lbs) into the skimmer.
I'm in the 5th day now, and have most of the dust in the filter....(pressure rose from 16 to 22psi).
The tiny hair line crack are really small, most are 4-6 inches in length and very thin. I will try and take a picture.
I will take a sample today to store to test for calcium....I know that having too low of calcium will eat away plaster and grout.

btw: I found out the liquid chlorine and muriatic acid that are sold in pool store are not same strength to the ones the sell in home depot/lowes, but this is kind of off topic so i put it as a separate topic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.