repair to Triton II Sand filter, air relief body assy, crack

Jun 24, 2007
I guess the hard winter in Georgia has caused damage to my filter and multiport. Yesterday I backwashed and when I put the multiport back on "filter" I didn't notice that all the water did not completely divert back to the pool. My flow gauge was operating and I saw the flow to the pool so I went inside for a conference call. Later I looked out and my water had dropped 12" or so. Basically the multiport did not completely seal back to the "filter" mode. After smacking it on top with my hand and jiggling the handle I suppose it sealed. I assume that now I will go by a spyder gasket and replace it, probably this afternoon. I have heard they go bad but I feel I have been very careful with the valve for the 2 1/2 years of it's life. I'm a bit afraid I will be out of town and something go terribly wrong :sleep:

My bigger problem is now the "Manual Air Relief Body Assy" # 27-3564. As you will see in the photo I have small cracks where the pressure gauge screws in and it is dripping water. I took out the gauge (in bad shape after only one year old) and put a 1/4" plug in the hole (hoping it was just the gauge). It still leaks. That part goes for between $60 - $100 so I am looking to try and repair it. I have thought about epoxy around the cracks, inside and out and / or painting with the rubber cement that I was going to purchase for the spyder gasket install. I really don't care much about installing another gauge since they don't last long and flow seems to be a better way to know when to back wash than pressure. If I can fix it and still use a gauge then that would be ideal but if I had to completely block the hole I'm okay with that. This may just be a temporary fix but I thought I would give it a try.

Any other ideas on fixing this? Also any links to the Spyder gasket (271148) replacement procedure would be excellent.
Thanks,

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

I have that same filter and multi-port.

1. It looks like you can purchase the clear plastic part (that is cracked) by itself...part# 27-3563. Should be a lot cheaper.

2. I would never operate a pool without a working pressure guage....provides you too much info to ignore....they're cheap...$8.00.

3. Try wrapping 3 layers of teflon tape (around your new guage) around the brass plug....that may stop the leak.

4. Disassemble your multiport and inspect...it looks like the handle is not seating properly

duraleigh said:
I have that same filter and multi-port.

1. It looks like you can purchase the clear plastic part (that is cracked) by itself...part# 27-3563. Should be a lot cheaper.

2. I would never operate a pool without a working pressure guage....provides you too much info to ignore....they're cheap...$8.00.

3. Try wrapping 3 layers of teflon tape (around your new guage) around the brass plug....that may stop the leak.

4. Disassemble your multiport and inspect...it looks like the handle is not seating properly

Dave, you are always good for for helpful replies. THANK YOU.
1. I didn't have a sub assembly part number but now that I have checked the web, everyone says it is obsolete and you have to order the 273564. So back to the 60-100.
2. The $8 gauge is lasting one year approx. Glass was even cracked recently and started shooting water out. Rusted etc.

3. I wrapped the tape on the plug yesterday and it still leaks and is coming around the fine cracks.
4. I will try the disassemble to check the seating first. I assumed it is not seating because the gasket is wadded up in there. I have heard that you spot on some rubber cement and magic lube when assembling a new one back and another guy said you don't use any glue. Just the magic lube.
So I wondered if someone has done this and has some helpful tips.

Thanks,
IMG_0072.jpg

I have mixed feelings on the cement for the spider gasket. I think Ted (Waste) says he prefers not to use it. One thing I hear a long time ago was always, always turn the handle in the same direction. In other words, if you start turning it counterclockwise, never change that procedure. I do that on mine and it's been around five years. Don't know if that's the reason or not.

You might try this cheap fix for the filter. Cut a small piece of rubber (like from an inner tube) that wraps around the neck where the cracks are. Then take a 1.5" hose clamp and tighten it down on the rubber (and neck). Not sure if it will stop the leak or even stay on there but it's a cheap try. It might be helpful to put some adhesive on the inside of the rubber.

I would still put a guage on my system...even tho it only lasts a year. I take mine off every winter now (put it in the garage) and I've had one last two years...we'll see if it goes much longer.

duraleigh said:
I have mixed feelings on the cement for the spider gasket. I think Ted (Waste) says he prefers not to use it. One thing I hear a long time ago was always, always turn the handle in the same direction. In other words, if you start turning it counterclockwise, never change that procedure. I do that on mine and it's been around five years. Don't know if that's the reason or not.

You might try this cheap fix for the filter. Cut a small piece of rubber (like from an inner tube) that wraps around the neck where the cracks are. Then take a 1.5" hose clamp and tighten it down on the rubber (and neck). Not sure if it will stop the leak or even stay on there but it's a cheap try. It might be helpful to put some adhesive on the inside of the rubber.

I would still put a guage on my system...even tho it only lasts a year. I take mine off every winter now (put it in the garage) and I've had one last two years...we'll see if it goes much longer.

Cool idea on the valve assy fix. I might try that one before taking it off and epoxy the inside.
I have always heard the same and ALWAYS went clockwise. I "may" have backwashed one time in the winter and turned it with slight ice inside and caused the problem. Otherwise I have no idea why it only lasted about two and a half years. When I take it apart I'll see what it looks like but my guess is that the gasket is my problem. Thanks,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.