My first water results

Barfus

Dec 27, 2009
Middle TN
Hi All,

I made my first water test this week. The water was at 60 degrees. I have a saltwater pool.

Salt 1350 ppm - I triple checked this test with the Aqua Test strips and the Taylor drop. Rechecked at room temp too.
Total Chlorine 0
pH 6.6
TA 10 ppm
CH 20 ppm
CYA 0
Borate 0
My tap water has 90 ppm for CH

My cover is still on and I have not turned on the pump yet.

The pool calculator says I need 350 pounds of salt and 12 pounds of CYA. I just purchased these. I'm thinking I will start the pump this weekend and get the salt level up to target add the CYA and fire up the SWCG. When the chlorine gets to target, I will start adding the other chemicals. Currently, the water is cloudy but not green.

Any advice or tips? This is a 2 year old pool but is my first season with it.

With water @ 60 degrees, I would start the pump and get chlorine in the pool very, very soon. (algae is not far away) So, to do that, I would...

A. Run pump for an hour or so and retest. Assuming the results were the same I would

1. bring pH up to 7.2 with 20 mule team Borax

2. Put in enough Clorox to get to at least 3-4ppm and plan on adding enough to keep it there constantly.

3. If TA is still below 70-80, add enough baking soda to get it there.

4. Add enough CYA to get to 60-70ppm

5. Add salt

6. Start the SWG and adjust it to keep FC around 2-4ppm

7. Adjust CH to about 250ppm if it's a plaster pool.

You may need to shock if your pool doesn't turn clear. If so, do it with Clorox, not the SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.