Problems balancing Ph and TA

Mar 29, 2010
Southern Florida - In Ground Pool 10,000
SWG working great! 3000 ppm. salinity.
Refinished about 18 months ago.
Water Always Crystal Clear
No algae problems
If I bring the Ph down to 7.4 (Muriatic Acid) the TA is about 30.
Then I add the necessary Bicarbonate to bring the Alkalinity up to 80-90 and... up goes the Ph.
I'm constantly chasing these two values.

What the heck am I doing wrong???

Thanks,

Welcome to the forum! :lol:

Are you using baking soda? It should have very little affect on your pH. I was able to change my TA up by about 50ppm and it had zero (that I could measure) effect on my pH.

Yep.....I'm using baking Soda. Maybe 10 lbs.or so. I never add more than 3-4 lbs. in one day and use a chemical calculator which seems very accurate. The TA has been very affected by the "new" refinishing product. Some kind of Stucco I think.

Thanks for the reply.

Welcome to TFP!

Try only raising the TA up to around 60, instead of 80-90. If that doesn't take care of it, you could add borates to helps stabilize the PH.

High TA levels combined with aeration will cause the PH to rise. The rate ay which this happens depends on how much aeration you have and how high the TA level is. Normally TA around 60 or 70 will take care of it, but if the amount of aeration is very high it may take additional steps to get the PH under control.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.