Cleaning Yellow Stairs when Water Level is Down

Jun 16, 2009
South Carolina
Just opened the pool and my fiberglass stairs are yellowish. I noticed these stains last season but didn't know the reason. Now I see that it is probably because of iron levels in the water. Since my water is below my steps at the moment, would this be a good time to clean them? If so what cleaner should I use?

Or should I fill up the pool, add a sequestrant, and let that remove the stains? Thanks!

Henry

Now would be a very good time to clean them, you can remove the stains without putting the iron back into the pool :cool:

Ascorbic acid or citric acid will remove the iron. I've also used lemons on small areas successfully. This will take a bit of elbow grease and would be time and energy wasted if you don't use a sequestrant :cry: HERE is a link to the Pool School article on stains.

Hope you have a great pool season with sparkly white stairs :-D

Thanks for the help. I read through the article and it seems odd that I would have yellow iron stains considering I use municipal water (although its not of great quality). But every part of the stairs that were submerged have a consitent yellow and I noticed it would get worse after adding bleach. So, I'm gonna use some lemon juice to see if it makes a difference and if it does I guess I'll head to the vitamin section at walmart? Unless there's a better way to buy abscorbic or citric acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.