Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Cleaning Yellow Stairs when Water Level is Down

Cleaning Yellow Stairs when Water Level is Down

Just opened the pool and my fiberglass stairs are yellowish. I noticed these stains last season but didn't know the reason. Now I see that it is probably because of iron levels in the water. Since my water is below my steps at the moment, would this be a good time to clean them? If so what cleaner should I use?

Or should I fill up the pool, add a sequestrant, and let that remove the stains? Thanks!

Henry
    20,000 Gal Vinyl In-ground
    Liquid 6% Bleach: $0.99/gal @ Aldi
    South Carolina Heat
    Borates: ~50ppm
    CYA: ~35ppm

Re: Cleaning Yellow Stairs when Water Level is Down

Now would be a very good time to clean them, you can remove the stains without putting the iron back into the pool

Ascorbic acid or citric acid will remove the iron. I've also used lemons on small areas successfully. This will take a bit of elbow grease and would be time and energy wasted if you don't use a sequestrant HERE is a link to the Pool School article on stains.

Hope you have a great pool season with sparkly white stairs
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

Re: Cleaning Yellow Stairs when Water Level is Down

Thanks for the help. I read through the article and it seems odd that I would have yellow iron stains considering I use municipal water (although its not of great quality). But every part of the stairs that were submerged have a consitent yellow and I noticed it would get worse after adding bleach. So, I'm gonna use some lemon juice to see if it makes a difference and if it does I guess I'll head to the vitamin section at walmart? Unless there's a better way to buy abscorbic or citric acid.
    20,000 Gal Vinyl In-ground
    Liquid 6% Bleach: $0.99/gal @ Aldi
    South Carolina Heat
    Borates: ~50ppm
    CYA: ~35ppm