BALANCING AND RAINWATER

Sep 25, 2009
Saturday I finally got everything balanced and ready to go. Other than some pesky algae, everything looks good. Sunday we got a huge rainstorm and has made my back yard flooded. The pool probably took 2 to 3 inches of water (if not more). Problem is, I cannot get to the pool to check it due to the muddy conditions (we are in the middle of landscaping install). Is it okay to let it circulate as is for a day or two until I can get to it... or should I treck through the mud to check the balancing.

I hate to be the one to say it but if there's "pesky algae" everything doesn't look good. :(

Given that you know that you have algae, I wouldn't wait any longer to get rid of it by shocking. Waiting a couple of days will allow the algae to grow and consume the FC thereby growing at an even faster rate. I vote for sloshing through the mud and shocking as needed.

I use chlorine tablets in the skimmer basket. Maybe I should have clarified. The algae (or whatever it is) did not worry me much because I added the algaecide and treatment chemicals Saturday PM assuming that would kill it.

Tablets usually don't raise FC very quickly; bleach would be more effective more quickly. And if it's trichlor, you probably want to keep the pump going 24/7 so the pH in the skimmer doesn't get too low.

What kind of algaecide? Some of them are helpful in keeping algae from getting started but not so good at killing algae that's already established.
--paulr

Have you read Pool School?
It would really help if you could post the last full set of numbers and how they were obtained (i.e self test, pool store test, etc)

pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA

Algaecide is really a preventative and we only recommend it in very special cases and then only Polyquat 60%.

Since you use tablets your CYA is probably high and therefore your FC needs to be kept higher as well. You can find what it should be by using the Chlorine/CYA chart in Pool School. Also we recommend that you not put tablets in the skimmer. They're acidic and if the pump isn't running 24 hours a day it creates a very low pH & very high chlorine concentration in it.

3/24/2010 3/28/2010
FC 0 0
TAC 0 0
PH 7.8 7.9
TA 60 128
CA HARDNESS 150 128
CYA 0 8
TDS 250 0

ADDED 24 LBS CA HARDNESS 3/24
ADDED 6 LBS PH DOWN 3/28
4 INCHES OF RAIN 3/29-3/30
PH NOW 7.6 VIA HOME TEST

You need to get some chlorine in your pool. Maintain at least 2ppm FC for now.

Use Jason's Pool Calculator to figure the evening dose.

I suggest you stop with the tabs and use liquid chlorine/bleach.

You need to increase your CYA based on your method of chlorination.

See Recommended Levels in Pool School.

Post back any q's you may have.

You are overlooking the single most important ingredient to keep from getting a green pool.....chlorine!

You will also need stabilizer (CYA) to keep the sun from burning off the chlorine.

Pool School has "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" which will help.

EDIT: Butterfly and I posted simultaneously...sorry for the duplicate.

[Pls excuse my previous post. I missed the green water part because I had originally answered to a duplicate post which is now deleted.]

Along with the info you have received to read Pool School, the best thing you can do for your pool is order a good test kit.

See Test Kits Compared in Pool School. The best bang for the buck is the TF100. Link in my sig.

This will enable you to take control of your pool and then your pool will be a trouble free pool :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.