polaris 65 Should I continue to use or upgrade when nec?

Pool-creetin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 22, 2010
Michigan
When this thing go's I want to replace it with a more efficient model and a quicker clean time.
I get tons of leaves, fuzz and bugs. It needs a large cap holding area.
I think the 65 is good, Just underpowered for my pools cleanup for how much that flies in there.
I have a 24ft round with 6ft deep end in the middle.
Any advise would be great! I have been looking at the pool rover.

What cleaner works best for you will be based mostly on how much and what type of debris you get in your pool.

I have loads of stuff entering my pool year round. I'm in deep woods with loads of wind year round. Leaves, plant debris, blown in, anything you can imagine, and extreme amounts of very fine dust, sand, silt, chalk dust, clay dust, etc. Plus what the dogs drag in from running and playing in the silty areas.

The Pool Skim was one of the best additions to my arsenal of "cleaners". In fact until a month ago I had so much stuff still going into the pool I was using two Pool Skims. It catches much of the large and small stuff before it settles to the bottom as long as the pump is running, which, in my case is 23 hrs a day, on pretty low speed but enough flow to get enough water to the Pool Skim(s).

I have the Aquabot, big brother/cousin to the Pool Rover, that I run for 6-8 hours each night, which is great for large and small debris but the best cleaner I have for leaves is the Polaris 280 using either a Polaris leaf bag or an Aquawerx after market bag which is as large as the Polaris leaf bag but catches much of the finer stuff. If you have extremely small debris, like I have, that goes right through the Polaris sand/silt bag or a stocking liner for the bag then the next best thing for Polaris is the E Z bag disposable. It catches much of the fine stuff but not all. I have found that I can rinse it out and get several cycles per bag. After a while the bag begins to deteriorate though. The absolute best is the bag I've fashioned, using the E Z bag as a pattern, using the material that is used for dust/allergen pillow/mattress covers or even more economical white frost cloth for plants; essentially the same material.

With my extreme microscopic stuff the fabric in the fine bag for the Aquabot clogs up before it can pick up all the leaves. Right now I'm compromising by using the regular mesh bag which throws out enough of the tiny stuff, that goes throw the mesh, that the filtration system gets most of it. I can really tell the difference between what is being filtered, using each of the bags, by the amount of stuff in the skimmer sock every morning. When I use the regular mesh bag the skimmer sock is almost saturated with fine stuff. With the fine bag, in the morning, there is not nearly as much fine stuff in the skimmer sock as the fine bag filters out much of the stuff.

What ever you use results really depend on how much stuff is entering your pool. What enters most pools on a "bad" day is a very "light" day for my pool.

gg=alice

Thank you!!! I have a plethora of trees, and the way my yard is located and shape of it, It acts like a garbage bag collecting all the neighbors Crud. :( The worst is my silver maples, and what makes it worse is the Dang squirrels dropping debris into the pool making nests.
For the small stuff I am putting in a dual main drain system near the bottom of the pool to collect the silty stuff. My last pool the deep end is where it seemed to collect mainly. I was promised by the pool store this is the best solution for this, We will see. I get tons of bugs,leaves,dandilion fuzz that clog up the cleaners quickly. I could probably make a sweater from the dandilion fuzz each summer. LOL :D

Thank you very much for the detailed post!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.