Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump housing leaking

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump housing leaking

I have a Hayward pump for my Above Ground Pool. I just noticed that water is slowly leaking from around the pump housing where the tube goes from the pump to the filter. It is leaking around the plastic nut. I noticed that the sealant (white in color) is broken down and I had to tighten the nut tight to the base. Should I be replacing the sealant around the threads? If so, what kind of sealant is that? Plumbers putty? Wondering what that is. Can I damage by continuing tightening it? I hate to keep on it. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    Coming Soon: In-Ground
    Previous: 24' Round AGP, 2HP Pump, Sand Filter, Solar Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump housing leaking

You should take it apart and clean the threads well then I recommend using teflon pipe sealant on the threads to seal it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Bama gave good advice, taking it apart and cleaning up the threads should take care of it. You can use teflon tape or TFE paste on the threads, whichever is easier for you.
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! Too bad for me I already filled the pool and everything had pressure. So, in a pinch I unscrewed the fitting as far as I could, cleaned the exposed threads, wrapped teflon tape around them and screwed it down. So far so good...when it warms up I will close off the water and take apart and do correctly. Thanks again.
    Coming Soon: In-Ground
    Previous: 24' Round AGP, 2HP Pump, Sand Filter, Solar Cover