There ain't no such thing as a free lunch

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
I started with a clean, clear pool with very high CYA and CH levels 240 and 1000+ respectively. Through pumping and rainwater dilution and one backflush, things were moving the right way. CYA 150, CH 550 at the lowest. I've been almost obsessive about keeping the pH and Cl correct

But then I started scrubbing these stains in the hot tub. Real elbow grease. The light spots are getting bigger. Good, hard brushing the walls and floor, especially one blotch in the shallow end that Ascorbic Acid didn't touch. It's fading.

And now my CH is climbing. Sigh.... I guess it stopped precipitating and is going back in solution. Nothing comes without a tradeoff.

So my new strategy is to keep the pH down at the low end and keep brushing to get as much scale off the walls as possible. It doesn't feel rough, it just looks ugly, so I may have a chance of removing it. And when it looks like I won't get any more off, bite the bullet and open the wallet and get the reverse osmosis treatment.

Richard320 said:
And when it looks like I won't get any more off, bite the bullet and open the wallet and get the reverse osmosis treatment.

I'm not sure how much "bullet biting" will cost you in your area, but I do know how much "wallet opening" it cost for us to put an R/O trailer on the road :shock: to offer the services down here :-D Trust me, we aren't getting rich, but we are trying to do the right thing in saving water (and we do seem to be able to clean up water for pool owners pretty good as well!) and being responsible!

Hang in there and I'm sure you'll have a great swim season :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.