Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solution to clean DE grids???

1. Back To Top    #1

Solution to clean DE grids???

Hey there. I am cleaning my DE filter for the first time. I am going to pull out the elements and give them a good washing. Is there a solution I can make myself to really get them clean? I dont want to pay an arm and a leg for some solution from the pool supply store if I can make some myself. Thanks for the help!!

C5
    20,000 Gal.
    Hayward D.E.
    I.G.
    All day Sun.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solution to clean DE grids???

Many people use TSP, about one cup per five gallons. You can get TSP at most hardware/home centers. I have heard people also use dishwasher powder. You may need to soak in dilute muriatic acid if there is significant calcium scaling.

Good luck.

Marc
    My Pool
    15k Gal Gunite Pool w/8 ft Spa w/Spillover
    Hayward DE Filter + DE Separation Tank
    Legend Sweep, Pentair Gas Heater
    Stenner Metering Pump for Liquid Chlorine Injection (15 gallon tank)

3. Back To Top    #3

I just cleaned mine and just used my water hose and got them real clean.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

generally, a good high-pressure spray does a fine job (just water).
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

5. Back To Top    #5

oh there is scale and algae and alot more **** than I thought there would be.......Nasty. I will try that TSP, Thanks!
    20,000 Gal.
    Hayward D.E.
    I.G.
    All day Sun.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you can't find real TSP, avoid the fake phosphate free stuff, you can use automatic dishwasher detergent instead.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I am using a muratic acid water mixture. I got most of the stuff off with a really strong nozzle of water. I think the acid/H2O mixture will knock the rest off.

Thanks for the help.
    20,000 Gal.
    Hayward D.E.
    I.G.
    All day Sun.

8. Back To Top    #8

You don't want to use acid without first using a degreasing agent like TSP. Organic oils on the filter can harden and permanently damage the filter if they are still there when you use acid. Usually TSP, or automatic dishwashing detergent, is enough to take care of everything. But if you have calcium scaling on the filter you follow the TSP with acid to remove the calcium buildup.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School