Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: solar cover with rain?

1. Back To Top    #1

Los Gatos, CA

solar cover with rain?

I finally decided to try a solar cover in my odd-shaped pool. Turned on the solar a little early this year and the temps are climbing, even on windy days, which I am liking so far. The reel is still an issue so I haven't hooked up the large cover I have to the reel yet because I am still waffling between cutting it and using the Solar Roller that I got or trying to get a regular reel to work in very little deck space that I have inside the safety fence. Anyhow, I need some help to install the Solar Roller so that has to wait.

I put it in the pool thinking we are done with rainy season in CA, but apparently we are getting some late rain next week. Should I take the cover off the pool on rainy days? If I don't, do I need to drain the cover after the rain to keep mosquitoes at bay?
    owner of ~37,000 gallon plaster IG pool/spa combo. Intelliflo VS+ filter pump, 2 hp whisperflo spa jet pump, Jandy Aqualink RS-6 with iAqualink upgrade, The Pool Cleaner 4x suction cleaner, Clean & Clear Plus 520 cartridge filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM2-40 SWG, Sta-rite 400k heater, solar heat pads and coils, Solar-Breeze NX.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: solar cover with rain?

No, it's okay to leave the cover on in the rain. The water won't sit on top for very long. Just keep an eye on your PH and chlorine levels when the cover is on for extended periods.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

3. Back To Top    #3

Cupertino, CA

Re: solar cover with rain?

Yeah, my experience with multiple inches of rain this winter is there's some puddling but not long enough to be a problem. The majority will run off the edges into the pool.
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page